- Chapter 2 -

Within an unknown building an old woman grimly received a letter and box from her assistant. With shaking hands she carefully tore the seal and removed the letters contents with restraint as if it would suddenly rip. Opening it she quietly sat and read.

Dear Mom,

Hey mom, it's been a while but it's me again. I know I've probably worried you enough already and I originally wanted to tell you everything in person. It seems that I won't have the opportunity though, so I think it's about time I'm honest with you. I got a little hurt saving a little girl, but it turns out it was more serious than I thought. I don't have a lot of time left to live. In fact I'll probably be long gone by the time you read this, so I might as well explain everything about the past twenty-two years.
I lied about everything. In truth Dad never got better, if anything things were worse. He spent most days drinking at the casino. Even when he came home it was often just to beat me until I lost conscious before taking the money you sent me. I was to afraid to tell anyone and I didn't want to worry you so I guess I just tried to escape. I put all my time into studying, often staying after school in the library. But he always seemed to wait for me to come home in order to beat me before leaving again. After two years I suddenly realized that despite me enduring Dad in hopes that he got better, he kept getting worse. So I ran away.
I ran as far as possible and before I knew it I was lost. He found me too. But these two kids saved me and Dad was arrested. I didn't want to trouble you so I didn't say anything about you. The kids who saved me happened to be two orphans that went to my school. They took me into the orphanage they stayed in and were my friends. They treated me kindly and we promised to search for the forest of Lore together when we were older....

The older woman read on and on. With every sentence a tear falling from her eyes. Until she reached the letters end.

.... Hey mom I know it's not right for me to ask a favor after having lied to you for the last twenty-two years but... The little girl I saved, if you ever find her, take care of her. She reminds me a lot of the me back than when I had run away from Dad. I'm sure she's the one I've been looking for, since a few years back.
Anyways I want you to know that I love you and I'm sorry for lying to you. I'm really grateful for everything that has happened to me. I'm not sure where I would be if I hadn't gone through everything that's happened but I'm sure I wouldn't be as happy as I am now. Well that's everything I wanted to tell you so I want to wish you a Happy New Year! I guess I'll see you around if you ever find the girl, I'll be hanging around her. I love you mom, thanks for always worrying about me.

Love your daughter,

Marly Bachelore

The woman wiped away her tears smiling sadly. Her little girl had suffered through so many things yet she still kept it to herself so as to not make her worry.
She smiled softly as she looked at the biggest fact that was revealed in the letter. Her little girl had never taken any of the pain she experienced to heart and just learned from it will maintaining her cheerful and mischievous disposition.
As she thought so she opened the box to find a pile of photos. Each photo was of her daughter smiling in various places, some had others together with her, while others were her alone. But each had a detailed description on the back of where it was taken and what happened there.
As she reached the piles end she found a picture of her daughter holding a younger girl with milk chocolate short hair, and dark chocolate eyes, while she sat in a hospital bed. Looking at the bright smile on her daughter's face as she teased the little girl, made a loving smile bloom of her wrinkled face.
She gazed thoughtfully at the girl's face. Remembering her daughter's request and her description toward how she had been living these last twenty two years, without raising her head she opened her mouth and ordered her assistant, "Find out everything about a girl named Marly Bachelore. I want to know everything on and off the record."
"Yes, Lady Hella." The assistant replied with a skip in her tone. Before hurrying out of the room.
The old woman ignored the departure of her assistant leaning back in her chair as she chuckled.
Her thoughts filled with plans on how to spoil the unknown little granddaughter rotten.