love goes toward love

Start from the beginning

it's easy for someone to joke about scars if they've never been cut.

JULIUS enters on the balcony.

ROMEO

wait a second, there's a window lit up over there... who would be awake now? oh, it's julius. my love. i wish he knew how much i love him. he's on the phone, but i can't hear him... so what? his eyes say something, and i can answer whatever question he's asking- 

no. i'm nobody. he's not talking to me.

but... his eyes are so pretty and bright. two of the brightest stars in the sky went away on business, and they must have asked his eyes to twinkle in their places until they return. if his eyes were in the night sky, they would shine so bright that birds would start singing because they thought it was day. look at how he's leaning his hand on his cheek. he's just so cute, i could die.

ROMEO climbs the vines that lead to JULIUS' balcony.

JULIUS

oh my god! i wish you would just let me live my damn life!

JULIUS hangs up the phone angrily.

ROMEO (to himself)

he's speaking. his words are angry, but his voice... his voice transports me to a world where he's, like, as glorious as an angel, an angel from heaven who makes mortal men fall over and look up at the sky, watching the angel walk on clouds and sail on air.

JULIUS (not knowing romeo hears him)

romeo, romeo, romeo. why do you have to be romeo? why couldn't you be some other guy who stole my heart? i wish you could just forget about your dad and change your name. and if you can't do that, just tell me you love me and i'll stop being a capulet. we can run away together.

ROMEO

it feels weird listening in on him like this... should i wait and hear more, or speak up now?

JULIUS (still not knowing romeo hears him)

it's only your name that's my enemy. you'd still be the same boy i fell in love with if you just changed your last name, just stopped being a montague. what's a name mean, anyway? roses would smell just as nice, even if they were called something stupid like "snarlafs". romeo... he would be just as perfect if he wasn't called romeo. i wish he could just lose his name. trade in his name, which really has nothing to do with him, and take all of me in exchange.

ROMEO (to JULIUS)

i trust you. just tell me you love me, and i'll change my name. i'll never be a montague again.

JULIUS

who's there? why are you listening to me?

ROMEO

i can't tell you who i am without telling you my name. i hate my name, because my name is like your enemy. i wish i could write it down, tear up the paper, and throw it into the fireplace, and have it be gone.

JULIUS

you haven't said much yet, but i recognize a voice when i hear it... aren't you romeo? a montague?

ROMEO

i'm neither of those words if you don't like them, baby.