Chapter 1

**Ali's POV**

"So, what's the answer to question 3?" The very clueless Seth asked me as I sighed, glaring at him from my window seat.

"F(x)=(x+1)squared." I told him, since he can't seem to grasp the answer.

He shook his head as he wrote down the answer. "I hate factoring." He said, still looking at his paper. "No wait, I hate math in general."

I giggled softly. "Don't we all?" And with that he laughed along with me.

Then there was a knock on my door, and Billy, one of my butlers, (My family is rich but we live in a regular size home) walked in. "Miss Alice, your dinner is ready."

I cringed slightly at him using my full first name, as I heard Seth stifling a laugh since he knew it bugged me so much. "Billy, please, call me Ali. And could I eat in here? I'm helping that idiot with his homework." I pointed to Seth at the end.

"Hey!" Seth exclaimed as Billy laughed softly.

"Sure. I'll bring it right up."

"Thank you!" I called as he closed the door behind himself.

(Quick explanation. Seth and Ali's windows are like 5 feet away from each other)

I looked back to a playfully glaring Seth. "What?" I asked innocently, tilting my head to the side for more effect.

"Don't you 'what' me you called me an idiot." He pouted like a 5 year old.

"Awww did someone get their feelings hurt?" I mocked him with a babyish voice, trying my best not to laugh.

"Yes." He replied in the same tone, and gave me a look to go along with it. That's when we both lost it and burst out laughing like crazy people. When we finally settled down, Amelia, one of my maids and close friends, had come in with a tray with my dinner.

"Hello miss Ali. I have your dinner here for you. And by the sounds of insane laughing I heard, it sounds like you two are having fun with your 'homework'." She lightly laughed with her British accent. (Amelia is British. British people are awesome. Most people in general are awesome)

"Yep. Thank you Amelia." I gave her a nice smile as she returned it, and walked out. I faced out my window to Seth again. "So, anything else your confused on?" I asked.

"No.... But i don't want you to leave." He dragged out as I took a bite of my pizza.

"But I have homework to do...." I whined, grabbing my back pack. "I missed a day remember? I have to make up all of Mrs. Day's notes for history."

He cringed. "That's a lot of notes."

I gave him a 'really' look, and sarcastically responded. "No way! I only have 1 paragraph." I looked down at the 12 paragraphs of notes I had to copy down.

"Oh good then you can spend more time with me." He smirked, pretending to act oblivious to my sarcasm.

"Homework first, see ya." I told him, moving away from my window.

"Later looser." He joked as we closed our windows at the same time.

*time skip- 1 hour later*

"Yes! Finally finished!" I exclaimed, sitting up and putting everything in my back pack.

Then there was a tapping at my window. I already knew it was Seth. I walked over to my window, opened it, and sat down. "Hey."

"Did I hear that you are finished with your homework?" He smiled softly.

"Yep. I finally finished all those notes!" I returned the smile.

"Now we get to hang out." His smile grew, since he was bored and currently alone as his mom went to the store.

When I was about to respond my computer loudly interrupted us with a Skype call. I grabbed my laptop and pulled it toward me as Seth groaned.

I saw the caller ID and immediately answered.

"Hey Travis!!" I smiled excitedly as my brothers face lit up the screen. My brother is in the army and is deployed somewhere else.

"Hey." He responded, but his usual smile wasn't on his face.

"What's wrong?" I asked him, my smile fading.

"I hate that you can just tell when something is wrong." He sort of chuckled. His small smile that came with his laughing soon disappeared, as I stared at him blankly. "I'm not coming home next week."

"What! Why?!" I demanded.

"Another unit of guys were injured, and our leave schedules were changed with theirs."

"So when do you come home?" I asked him.

He sighed, and hesitated. "I think six months."

"You think?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Nothing is definite right now Al. Besides the fact that I'm not gonna be home next week." He ran a hand through his hair.

Then Drew walked in. "Hey Drew." I smiled for the camera.

"Hey cutie pie." He kept the greeting short as he and my brother whispered some tings back and forth for a while.

"Sorry Ali but I have to go. I'll call you back when I can." Travis sighed.

"Alright." And with that we ended the call.

"Ali." Seth breathed out my name softly.

He pulled me out of my trance, I had forgotten he was there. I looked up at him. His eyes held pity. "Don't say anything. You know I hate pity." I got up and put my laptop away. "I need to go tell my dad what's going on." I left my window open, as I walked out of my room.

I barged into my dad's office. "Alice, how many times have I told you-" I cut him off as he was standing up.

"Not that you care, but Travis won't be coming home next week. That's all I had to say." With that I walked out of his office and back up to my room.

I sat back at my window, ran a hand through my very long hair, and looked back over to Seth, who sat there waiting.

"So, now we're finally alone." He offered a smile, and then his mom walked into his room. "Ugh." He accidentally said out loud.

"Dinner's ready if you're hungry. Hi Ali!" She turned from her son to me.

"Hi Mrs. Denise." I gave her a smile.

"Okay, bye mom." He ushered his mother out of the room.

"You should go eat." I told him as he sat back down at his window.

"I'm not hungry." He told me, and as if on cue, he stomach growled, loudly.

I gave him a look that said 'oh really?' "Go eat." I told him. He opened his mouth to argue, but I gave him a look that said 'don't try' and he closed his mouth, got up, and went to eat.

*****************************

So this was my first chapter of my new book! To all my fans from the other book, I'm sorry I deleted that book, but believe me when I say you will like this one way more.