6. Passing Notes

A sigh fell from Pisti's lips. "I figured that you'd say something like that. Do you at least have an idea?" She asked. I avoided her scrutinizing, strawberry gaze on me as I looked at the window of the office. My fingers found themselves playing with each other as I tried to answer her question. 'Tongue tied, aren't you master?' Regulus' voice came through my head as a taunting whisper.

After a few seconds of nothing but the rhythm of my heart beating against my chest, I finally spoke up. "It's so weird, such a simple question should have a simple answer. Maybe I'm overthinking it." I resumed the unfinished scroll in front of me. "But if I was overthinking it, wouldn't it mean that something deeper has to be involved?"

"Are you asking me or are you asking yourself?" Pisti giggled.

"A little bit of both, I suppose." I shot her a lopsided grin. "In all seriousness though, what if I don't have a reason for it?" The end of the quill was placed against my cheek as I thought about what I said.

"Could you be suggesting that an outside force is involved? Fate perhaps?" The blonde's wiggled her eyebrows suggestively as I shook my head at her. "No, I highly doubt that. Also, don't just toss fate into everything; it makes things more complicated for me." Before she could even give a response a knock abruptly interrupted her voice from coming out. "Bombshell number eleven?" Pisti took the piece of paper of where she kept record of the girls.

I rolled my eyes and uttered an audible 'come in'. The person from the other side was one of the servants from the palace who had a mountain of scrolls with him. Pisti and I groaned simultaneously at the sight of it, causing the servant to blush and apologize profusely. "My apologies, but Sir Ja'far had given me instructions beforehand to give this to you on the second day during him and his majesty's absence." he squeaked out.

The tips of my lips curved up lightly, "No need to apologize, you're only doing as what you were told. Could you please place those scrolls beside that cabinet over there?" I pointed at my right where another mountain of scrolls were placed as well. The servant choked at the sight of them and carefully placed another pile beside it. He excused himself with a bow and left the office.

"You know, I'd rather have another harem girl come in than another pile of paperwork to work on." I rested further into the wooden chair I sat on and as if on cue, a series of loud obnoxious knocks rang through my ears. "Lady [name]! Do you know where his majesty is at?" another groan left my lips at the exaggeratedly high-pitched voice from the other side.

"You were saying?" Pisti shot me a tired smile.

"I take it back. I'd rather drown in paperwork than to have to deal with those daft bimbos." Before one of us could even open the door, the person from the other side opened it herself with her chin held high. "I demand to know his majesty's location." I resisted the urge to laugh at her unusually squeaky voice and cleared my throat. With an internal sigh, I braced myself for what was about to come at me.

-

I stopped counting the days in which Sinbad wasn't here. I got distracted by repeated questions of where the king was, stupid paperwork, little problems I had to solve for the citizens and other things that required the king's presence. I was currently with Spartos who was such a sweetheart when he offered to replace Pisti in helping me out with paperwork.

The two of us were just enjoying the few moments of silence when a familiar voice of a general was heard. "Lady [name], permission to enter the room?"

"Permission granted, my dear general."

The person from the other side of the door was none other than Sharkkan who had a scroll in hand which was tied with a richly dyed, purple ribbon. The ex-prince flopped himself on the seat in front of my desk and lazily smiled at us. "We finally captured the thief. And as what you and the king predicted, he was a magician."