4. Sparks Never Flew

"I'm having what tomorrow?"

"You're having your coronation."

"I'm sorry, have I misheard you?" I flashed the king's advisor a horrified look.

Ja'far sighed. He closed his eyes in annoyance; he knew he was going to have to repeat his reply for at least three times to me. "You're having your own coronation. Tomorrow. Yes, you heard me right. No, this is not a prank. King Sinbad and I planned this event a week ago. And successfully without your knowledge, might I add" Ja'far smiled slyly. My eyebrows knitted themselves together as my mind tried desperately to process what he told me.

The two of us stood there, me leaning against the door frame of my bedroom and Ja'far standing approximately three feet away as we were staring at each other blankly. The ex-assasin was the one who knocked on my door a few moments ago right after my conversation with Regulus ended. "But why?" I asked. Okay, dumb question. Of course I knew why. His majesty already informed me of being in charge of Sindria while he was away in Balbadd.

Ja'far let out a small chuckle and looked at me with an eyebrow raised. "Didn't his majesty tell you that you'll be in charge here while he and I are in Balbadd?" I nodded. "Then you should know why you're going to have the coronation."

"Well you can't just tell me that the day before!"

"Didn't you at least think that it was suspicious when the king asked you if he can join your investigation today?" I was just about to reply to him when realization hit me the same way life does unexpectedly. "No way, really?"

Ja'far nodded his head. "But why the day before?"

"We had an issue while we were planning."

"And when you said 'we', you meant 'I' instead."

"Precisely, but don't quote me on that." He smiled lightly and continued, "We wanted to make sure that everything was all set at the cathedral.  I was supposed to tell you two days earlier."

"What was this issue exactly?" I asked. Ja'far sighed with an agitated look on his face. From the way that sigh fell from his lips and that certain gleam in his eyes, I already had a certain something in mind. And to be more specific, a certain someone. "Sinbad." Came his reply. I could only giggle at the slight tiredness that laced his voice.

"What did he do this time?"

Ja'far paused for a few moments, tried his best to choose his words carefully. "He wanted to invite the whole country." My jaw went slack once those words came out of his mouth. "The whole country?"

"And even suggested to invite the rulers from the nations of the Seven Seas Alliance."

"He suggested that?" Disbelief seemed to have taken place in my voice as the question fell from my lips. It wasn't a newly discovered fact to me for the king to hold events with such extravagance and glamour; hence why Sindria was known as the land of never ending parties, but what Ja'far said made me feel like I just met the king for the first time and discovered that he was the man behind all those legendary events held in the country. Ja'far cleared his throat, connected his arms underneath the sleeves of his robes and bowed.

"I'll tell you how the ceremony will proceed. Just stop by my office after you finish dinner." He remained in the same, almost ninety degree posture for a few seconds and looked up to meet my eyes. "You know you don't have to do that," I smiled awkwardly at him.

"And you know that whatever you say won't stop me from doing so, Lady [name]. After all, you are seen as a noblewoman in the country; might as well treat you like one." And with that, he turned to his left and walked away. I stared at his retreating figure absentmindedly and thought about what he said. It wasn't just him who greeted me like that. Everyone else did.