From Protector To Lady Chapter 27

Start from the beginning

"Thank you," I smiled looking down at our hands once again, the intensity between us building once again.

We stood there in silence for a moment, but it was not an uncomfortable silence. I was satisfied with just being in his company, holding hands and feeling the warmth of his skin radiating onto me.

Had he just given me permission to enter Tarantsmo alone as long as I was armed? I did not know but I wouldn't question him about it now.

That's when I remembered I had been wanting to make another trip into Tarantsmo soon...perhaps now was a perfect opportunity.

"Actually, since we're on the topic," I said quietly, peeking up at him through my eyelashes.

"Please, let's not worry about that now," he begged, not wanting to let the light mood between us fade.

"No, no, going into Tarantsmo. I have been wanting to go back and I was thinking, that if you have the time, if you would like to accompany me. If not, I am quite positive I could go strap on the quiver. I might get a few more odd looks having a bow on my arm instead of my husband," I smiled up at him, his own returning smile was mesmerizing, his blue eyes beaming.

"You are my number one priority, Rebecca. We will go into the city whenever you wish to," he replied.

"May we go now?" I asked, becoming hopeful.

He chuckled, shaking his head. "So eager. Yes, we may."

He held his arm out at his side before bowing slightly, "Duchess Rebecca, it would be my honor to escort you into Tarantsmo. Shall we?"

I smiled and took my place by his side, feeling comfortable there.

Within minutes we were outside, Tarantsmo looking back at us in the short distance.

"This really is a beautiful place, Stanton. You must be held in great esteem with the King," I spoke, my hand resting easily in the crook of his arm, our steps in time with one another.

"Yes, well I would hope so, after all of the time I dedicated to him," he said, his tone quite unreadable.

"You don't sound all too pleased?" I spoke, hoping I wasn't coming off as brash.

"Sometimes he is a very hard man to handle. After all, look at all of the things he has forced upon you, a woman who is practically a stranger to him," he replied.

"Well, it hasn't all been terrible. After all, I made a couple of good friends in the process. And, well, I live in a wonderful area now, Tarantsmo is beautiful," I smiled, my voiced teasing. "And have you seen the manor, from what I hear, there's a very strong and honest Duke living there."

He laughed, his voice ringing true.

"Yes, that is true. I am still sorry you were ripped from your former life. But I will try to make this new one as best as I possibly can. Once your family arrives if they choose to, I hope there will be nothing stopping you from finding the happiness you deserve, after all, they are the reason for all you have been through," he said kindly as we just entered within the walls of Tarantsmo.

My senses were immediately assaulted by an array of smells, sights and sounds. Men and women laughing, talking and singing, a flutist playing music somewhere afar. Foods being grilled and horsemen and carriages scurrying about.

My entire soul seemed to warm at the thought of my family living here. I hoped they would be safe here - safer than they had been in Rillanon. The thought of my brother or mother or father being harmed any more was unbearable.