Chapter 19: Daddy

Start from the beginning

“Don’t be upset,” Sedric told his friend. “I’m actually pretty excited.” Understatement of the year. He was more than pretty excited. He could barely wait to let the whole world know he was going to be a father. Shout it from the rooftops and all that.

“You’re excited?” David huffed. “The woman who deceived you got knocked up and you’re excited about it? What has she done to you? Bewitched you? You’re talking like a mad man, Sed.”

Fury welled up in his chest as Sedric shook his head in disbelief. “Can’t you be happy for me for one second before starting to lecture me? I want this baby more than anything. I’m happy about the news of becoming a father.”

“Don’t you see it, man? She’s doing this on purpose. She deliberately got pregnant.”

A humorless laugh left Sedric’s lips. “Are you hearing yourself? You’re the delusional one, Dave. Why would she deliberately get pregnant if she hates me and wants me to suffer? She’s making me the happiest man alive.”

“She can take it all away. What would you do then? Besides, I thought you didn’t want to be tied to a woman or have any children? Isn’t that what you’ve been telling me for the past six years?” David looked truly baffled.

“I don’t want to be tied down to anyone but Jade. She’s the only woman I’d willingly marry. I understand why you’re hesitant, Dave. I know you’ve been through a lot in the past and are suspicious of everything and everyone, but I promise you, you can trust Jade. She’s it for me. One day you’ll meet your match and understand what I was talking about.”

“I don’t think I’ll ever understand how you can trust a woman that easily after what she put you through.”

Sedric decided not to argue. David and he could discuss this topic for hours – days even – and still not agree. The man had just been through too much stuff during his life to trust easily. It would be impossible to convince David that Jade being pregnant was a good thing.

***

“Look how adorable this is!” Jade squealed as she touched a bright pink miniature dress and let her fingers caress the ultra-soft fabric, her eyes wide with excitement. Alexis and she decided to go baby shopping together and check out some of the stores in the city. So fare it had been a real adventure. Jade never thought she’d love this as much as she did. Baby. She still wasn’t used to the thought that she was carrying Sedric and her unborn child in her womb. It seemed absolutely surreal.

“Wait till you see the boy section. They even have little suits! It’s so cute,” Alexis grinned. Jade never imagined she’d be pregnant at the same time as her sister. It was awesome to have someone to talk to who was going through the exact same thing. Once upon a time, she’d been convinced having children was not in the cards for her. Luckily, she’d been wrong. She might only be two months along, but she already couldn’t wait to hold her baby.

It had been unexpected and scary, but at the same time this baby couldn’t have come at a better time. Their little peanut pushed Sedric and her to open their eyes and see what was right in front of them. They loved each other, they both wanted a future together. Was it really worth to throw all of that away because of what happened in the past? Jade liked to believe she’d moved on.

When Sedric told her he wanted nothing more than to have her in his life and give their relationship another shot, Jade had been completely baffled. Part of her had hoped he’d throw away the papers she let that lawyer draw up and tell her he wanted to raise their child together, but she hadn’t dared to dream. The disappointment of him accepting her suggestion would’ve been too severe. What a mess she’d created for herself.  

“Now tell me. You’ve kept me waiting all afternoon, what did Sedric say when you handed him the contract?” Alexis questioned, not able to contain the curiosity that laced her tone.

Jade smiled nervously and down casted her eyes. Her sister was not going to be very happy. She’d tried to avoid the subject for as long as she could, but she’d known it was inevitable. She had to tell Alexis the truth.  “Sedric ripped it apart and after arguing for a while we decided to give our relationship a real shot, not just for the baby, but because we both still love each other,” Jade blurted out.

The outburst she expected didn’t come, instead it stayed awfully quiet. Alexis’ silence could be interpreted in a lot of ways, but Jade knew instantly it was a bad thing. Usually, her sister would start yelling at her. That she kept quiet only meant she was that much angrier.

“You agreed to what?” It was a hushed whisper, a combination of shock and utter rage. “Are you insane?” Yep, there was the reproach she’d expected. While Jade couldn’t say she was surprised, it still stung. No one seemed to trust her instincts and believe she was wise and old enough to make her own decisions. It hurt her pride.

“Look, the only reason I told you this, was so you’d know what was going on. I don’t need your verbal attacks or endless questions.” Jade was sick and tired of the constant inquisition regarding Sedric. Alexis could keep her thoughts to herself if she was planning on criticizing her every decision. It was her life, her decisions, her possible mistakes.

Alexis looked startled for a moment, clearly not expecting her younger sister to stand up to her like that. “I’m just looking out for you, sis. I don’t want you to hold things back from me because you fear I might put you down. I respect the decisions you make, I just don’t always agree with them.”

“Believe me, I know you mean well. It’s just kind of frustrating when you constantly condemn me for loving him. Sedric and you won’t ever be friends, I can accept that, but don’t bad mouth him every chance you get. Yes, he cheated on me, but there’s more to him than the mistakes he’s made. I believe he’s learned his lesson.”

“You’ve forgiven him,” Alexis stated, understanding shimmering in her eyes.

“I think I forgave him a long time ago. I just denied it, trying to spare my own feelings. Part of me wanted Sedric to pay for what he did and try his hardest to win me over. I haven’t admitted it to him yet, but I do forgive him. It won’t be easy and I’ll probably throw what he did all those years ago back in his face from time to time. I won’t always be fair to him, but at the end of the day, I love Sedric and I want him in my future. I’m willing to give it my all.”

“If you’re happy, I’m happy for you, Jade. Do I agree with your decision to give Sedric a second chance after the way he treated you? No, I don’t, but I guess he can prove to our family he does have your best interest in mind and isn’t planning on hurting you.”

Jade studied her sister in disbelief, honestly surprised by Alexis’ words. She didn’t think Alexis could set her own feelings of anger aside. “Thank you, sis, that means a lot to me.”

“Don’t get me wrong, I’ll constantly doubt the man’s honesty and it’ll be hard to win me over, but if you want him in your life the rest of the family will have to accept that. I won’t make you choose, Jade. I’d never do that.”

A weight was lifted from Jade’s shoulders as she smiled at her sister and nodded in understanding. It was more than she ever believed was possible. Maybe this could really work out. God, she hoped so. She wanted nothing more than to have a loving husband, cute little babies she could love unconditionally and a family that supported her.

I'm sorry for the wait. I'm extremely busy with school at the moment, so busy that I barely have time to write. If you're reading my other story Cruel Fate, you probably noticed there aren't any new chapters. I'm so sorry! I wish I could present you guys a chapter every week, but that's simply not possible. I'll post as many chapters as I possibly can, but please keep in mind that it's not easy for me to find time to write.

Thank you for reading. Please vote and comment.