Chapter 19: Daddy

Depuis le début

“Do you still love me?” Sedric knew the answer, but he needed confirmation.

“You know I do,” Jade replied, smiling softly when he intertwined their fingers and pulled her a little closer until only inches of space separated them.

“That is what’s important. I’ll try my damned hardest to make things work between us. Not just because of the baby, but because you’re the only woman that has ever made me truly happy.” It wouldn’t be easy, but Sedric was willing to go all in for Jade. He’d forgiven her a long time ago for what she did. It was time to completely let go of his anger and move forward with his life.

***

Smiling like a damn fool, Sedric walked into his office the next morning in a great mood. After their heated discussion, Sedric had pulled Jade into a tight hug and asked her to stay the night at his place. They’d talked about her pregnancy, how she found out and when they’d go to the gynecologist. It all came so natural, like they’d been together for years.

He was still a little angry and hurt that she’d drawn up a damn contract before actually telling him about the baby, but he could somehow understand her. She’d been scared and in shock. Her natural reaction had been to try and protect her child. It was wrong in many ways, but he could relate to her actions. He probably would’ve done something equally stupid if their situations had been reversed. Sedric always had been known to be a hothead.

A baby. He still couldn’t quite grasp he was going to be a father in seven months. It seemed surreal and probably would take some time to get used to the idea. He’d never thought he’d have children after Jade and he separated. In fact, he’d been convinced he’d die a lonely man. This…it changed everything.

His entire world was shaking from its axis and while it scared Sedric, he didn’t mind all that much. This was the kind of miracle he’d been hoping for. He’d be lying if he said it didn’t make him extremely happy that he was getting another chance to be with the woman he loved. The circumstances might not be ideal, but they would make it work. He truly believed that. Jade meant too much to him to fail in his attempt to restore their relationship.

“What on earth has you in such a chipper mood?” Sedric looked up to see David standing in the doorway of his office, a confident smirk across his face as he causally leaned against the door frame. The man just won an important case in court today and was still riding on the adrenaline high of victory. It was an addictive feeling.

Sedric wondered what the best approach would be to tell his friend about Jade’s pregnancy and eventually decided on just being straight forward. It’s what David would appreciate most. He couldn’t wait to see the shock crossing the man’s features. David was going to be stunned, that’s for sure.

“I’m going to be a daddy,” Sedric smiled, actually feeling pride in admitting the truth to his best friend. He was going to hold his firstborn in his arms in less than seven months. It was almost a dreamlike prospect. He still couldn’t believe it was really happening. He felt elated…ecstatic even.

The smirk vanished from David’s face as a look of pure horror took its place. “You’re what?” The man’s shout could probably be heard five floors down, it was that loud. Sedric honestly didn’t think he’d ever seen David this outraged. The sad thing was, he didn’t understand the reason. Why was his friend angry? Sedric just got the best news he’d received in six years. He wanted that baby more than anything in the world, a perfect combination of Jade and him, their love child.

Admittedly, before his brother’s wedding, he probably wouldn’t have been very happy if Jade turned up pregnant with his child. All of that changed when he realized how much he still loved her. Jade was it for him, the sole woman he could see himself getting married to. It didn’t matter that she’d made a huge mistake in the past. If she could forgive him for cheating on her, he’d gladly forgive her for seeking revenge.