Chapter 19: Daddy

Start from the beginning

The fear in Jade’s sapphire orbs suddenly turned to blatant confusion. “You want to give our relationship another shot?” She sounded utterly bewildered.

“Of course I’d want that. What kind of jerk do you think I am? The only reason I was willing to let you go was because I believed it was what was best for you. This pregnancy changes that. I’d never willingly step aside and let the woman I love look for her dream prince while carrying my child inside of her.” How could she think he’d give up on her now she was pregnant? He wanted nothing more than to be the father of her children.

“You told me this would end when I found someone to build a future with. How was I supposed to know you’d want to be in a real committed relationship with me? You never tried to fight for me. You didn’t go to extreme lengths to convince me to give you a second chance. All you did was propose to be friends-with-benefits. Do you really think I’d beg you to give our relationship another shot because of this baby while it’s clear I’m nothing but a temporarilyfuck?”

“You’ve never just been a temporarily fuck and you know it!” How could she think that? He’d told her he loved her, how much he wished he’d never betrayed her, how he would never have children since they wouldn’t be with her. Yes, he’d been careful and tried to shield himself from any more heartbreak after what she put him through in the past. He probably should’ve tried to convince her they could solve their former issues, but he hadn’t believed he deserved a second chance after what he’d done.

The baby changed that. If she was carrying his child, he wouldn’t let her go that easily. He’d been willing to step aside for another man, step aside for her happiness, but not if it meant losing the perfect little family he’d always wanted. Jade wasn’t going to be a single mom just because she was too stubborn to give their relationship a real shot.

“No, Sed, I don’t know that. I know you’ve told me you love me and I believe you. Yet, you’ve never said anything about trying to get back together for real. You suggested we become friends-with-benefits for the time being and I agreed. I couldn’t possibly know you’d actually wanted a second chance.”

Sedric sighed deeply. He obviously made a mistake when he suggested the agreement between them. How Jade hadn’t realized he did want to be with her, he didn’t know. “You kept telling me you didn’t know if you could ever trust me again. I knew you deserved the family you’ve always dreamed of and was willing to stand aside to give you exactly that. It’s the only reason why I haven’t tried to convince you we belong together.”

Silence overtook the room as Jade studied him, clearly lost in thought. “You want us to give our relationship a real chance and be together for real?”

“I’ve always wanted that. I just didn’t believe I deserved that kind of happiness after what I put you through.”

Jade didn’t just look surprised, but actually shocked to the core. “Really?” she whispered, her eyes wide as saucers.

Instead of replying, Sedric shredded the document in two and held up the ruined papers. How was that for an answer?

“I’m not sure if it’ll work out,” Jade admitted softy, looking worried.

Sedric took a step forward and lovingly cupped her cheek as he stared into her sapphire orbs. “At least we’ll have given it a shot. I don’t know what the future holds, buttercup, but I’ve always known I want nothing more than for you to be an active part of it.”

“We’re both haunted by demons, Sed. I’ll never forget what you did. I might be able to forgive, but I won’t forget. It’s just not that easy. I want to believe this can work out between us, for the sake of our baby and myself, but I’m not sure.”