Lyra

Leave some commentzzzzz I eat that shit up xxxxx

_____

"Oliver, have you seen my hat?" his mother called from a room over.

"I don't know Mom, the red one?"

"Yes, I don't know where it went!"

Oliver looked down to where Hope stood by his side, giggling. She wore a bright red hat that was too big for her head, flopping over her eyes. Oliver grinned.

"You know what Mom? I don't think I have," Oliver called back.

This caused Hope to giggle even more, fidgeting where she stood. The whole family was getting ready to go out to see the college symphony, as per Oliver's request. His parents had thought it was a splendid idea, better than him going out to another bar at any rate, and it was something the whole family could do together which was always a yes in their books. Oliver had dressed for it too, wearing a blazer jacket with slacks. Hope was in a rumpled pink dress and their mother's red hat, the latter of which would probably not last much longer.

"I just don't know why it isn't where I left it!" Their mom's voice floated distressed from the other room.

"Calm down Naija," Oliver's father could be heard trying to pacify their mother. "It will turn up somewhere."

"We have to leave in five minutes!"

Oliver sighed, figuring he should put an end to the charade. He knelt next to Hope.

"Hey Hope," he began. "I think it's time to give Mommy's hat back now."

"No!" she twisted away from him, tugging the hat further down on her head.

Oliver bit his lip, thinking.

"If you give Mommy's hat back, I have a better hat you can wear. It's the most special hat in the world."

Hope peeked out at him from under the brim of the red hat. "Spe'sal?"

"Special, that's right," Oliver said. "Only for you."

After a couple seconds of deliberation, Hope nodded enthusiastically. Oliver tipped the hat gently off her head, then called out to their mom with only a slightly raised voice so as not to disturb Hope.

"Hey Mom! Hope found it!"

There was some general rustling and muttering, then his mother appeared with a frantic face and hair sticking straight up into the air. She immediately grabbed the hat from Oliver and started fixing it to her head.

Oliver felt a tugging on his sleeve. He looked down to where Hope looked up at him expectantly.

"Spe'sal?" she asked.

Oliver smiled. "Come with me. We gotta be quick okay?"

"Okay!"

Oliver led her to the living room, where they kept pots of fake flowers stacked around family pictures on the mantle. He popped a couple plastic stems from their fixed places and started twisting them into a circle. When he'd finished the crown, he turned around and showed it to his little sister.

"What do you think?"

"Pretty!" Hope shouted, reaching out to gently touch the white flowers. "Pretty!"

Oliver lifted the crown and put it on Hope's head, adjusting it so it nestled nicely in between her tight curls. She kept reaching up to touch the flowers reverently as they trotted back to where there mom waited in the kitchen.

"Is everyone ready to go?" Oliver's father asked, standing gruff and tall by the door to the garage.

The entire family went and piled in the station wagon, Hope continuing to touch her crown and Oliver trying to avoid talking to his parents.