Chapter Fourteen: Splint

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"The smallest of details can be some of the most important" I told him

"That" He pointed to Austin and Tricia "Is important?"

I shrugged, knowing it wasn't. I was curious, that was all.

"Although, despite my lack of notice in that" He pointed to Tricia and Austin "Don't think that I haven't noticed your hand" He turned the attention back on me

I rolled my eyes "You don't pay attention to their hands, but you pay attention my hand?"

He shrugged, averting his eyes forward.
It was then his eyes fell momentarily on Jesse ahead. It gave him away.
Like I had told him, it was in the small details.

My jaw tensed and I narrowed my eyes "Jesse told you about it, didn't he?"

I could tell instantly that Mason was brewing some kind of lie up, an excuse.

"I don't talk to him" He shook his head

I used this to my advantage. I remembered sensing some kind of bad blood between the two while Mason had stitched my arm "And why is that?"

He shrugged, avoiding my gaze "Ronan and I knew him before all of this"

Ah-huh. It was then I remembered Keira mentioning bad-blood between Jesse and Ronan also.
Jesse seemed to have a list of haters.

"What's the deal?" I prodded

"Why the curiosity?" He snapped "I thought you weren't interested in knowing these kinds of things?"

He was right, why was I so interested in it?

"I also thought everyone here was trying to persuade me otherwise?"

His face fell, slightly amused and defeated

"Jesse and Ronan were friends, lived in the same neighbourhood as me" He began "I don't know Ronan and Jesse's story, when I met up with them; they were already on bad terms"

"So how did you get involved?" I urged

"Mine and Jesse's beef was long before all of this" He waved his hands up.
I waited for him to continue, but it seemed he wasn't about to follow up with the topic, so I pushed

"So?" My eyes on the side of his face

"So, I can't extend on the matter any further, it's his past, his business, when someone goes behind his back, he can be quite an angry man"

I shrugged "If it means anything, I don't really talk with him either"

It was an attempt to side with him, solely for the information

His eyes turned to meet mine "That's not entirely true now is it?"

I crossed my eyebrows "What do you mean?"

"You see" He began with a small smirk "That so called hot tension you feel between Austin and Tricia, I feel it as well, only it isn't with Austin and Tricia"

I rolled my eyes instantly knowing what he was insinuating "Why does everyone keep assuming that?"

"Maybe because you aren't as out of tune with your human instincts as you think you are"

I shook my head "No"

"Mhm" He mumbled

It seemed that he had averted the conversation; something that I was usually the one doing. Mason was smarter than I gave him credit for.

"So are you going to let me have a look at your hand, it looks swollen, bruised" He continued to divert topic

I sighed "It's not that bad"