#17 - Me And Ekun

Chapter 17

I was never really a fan of Mondays, well, probably no one in my class too was. Why? Because first and second period were 2 bloody hours of Agricultural science, which to me was pure hell. Our teacher was a light skinned short weirdo with the largest grin I'd ever seen. He was a literal freak.

Like the strange man he was, he strutted into the class with his circular old fashioned glasses which everyone believed to be fake, at the tip of his nose. I let out the loudest sigh ever and slammed my head onto the table, only the lord could help me now.

I watched with care as he went round the class twice, making sure we'd shut the door and then he started talking. I don't think it was just me, no, it was the whole class in general who always felt the need to fall asleep whenever this man opened his mouth.

I'm not trying to be rude but this man was horrible, I can't stand the thought of actually paying rapt attention to him for two bloody hours, its torture. Unfortunately, torture happens to be reality as he places his text book on the table and stares us all down. Time for hell.

Finally lunch time came and I proudly pulled out my 3 packs of chips, 2 apples, 1 pack of chin chin, 3 superbites, 2 jam doughnuts, 1 bottle water and 1 bottle of Pepsi. I was getting ready to dig into my food when I hear a scream, hurriedly turning around I spotted a crowd.

Usually, I would turn back around and continue with my food but there was something different about this crowd. They were attacking someone, which meant today was someones birthday. Birthday.

My eyes widened as realization sunk in, today was the D-Day. Today was Reen's birthday and the unfortunate bystander being beat up was Maureen. Oh shit. I hopped off my seat and rushed towards the door before turning back around to my food. I moved as fast as I could, shoving every item back into my bag so fast flash would be proud. Yes Barry Allen, I'm talking about you.

The moment I was done, I hurried out of the class in confusion. Why exactly was I confused? Oh, because the crowd had disappeared. And how does a crowd of crazy wild students disappear into thin air in seconds? well, when the commandant is passing, anything is possible.

I froze as the tall light skinned man walked into an SS1 class. My feet moved on their own accord and took me into the nearest class, Ekun. I rushed towards one of my friend's seat and plopped onto the hard wood like it was second nature. 

"Commandant is in SS1 Ekun!"

A very not so surprisingly manly voice called out loudly and the whole class quieted down. I put my head onto the table in faux sleep. A known trick I'd learnt from boarders, where by the naval officers never punished the sleeping ones which seemed stupid because we weren't meant to be sleeping in school but it worked and I was happy.

I was panting lightly and I didn't notice I was until my friend Joshua pointed it out. "Ace, who are you running from?" He poked my sides and jumped lightly being extremely ticklish. "He has already gone pretender." I sighed as I rose my head, leaning back onto the chair.

I made sure to double check by looking around through windows before turning back to Joshua who had an amused smile on his face, I furrowed my brows in confusion. "What's making you smile?" Then I noticed he wasn't even listening, his eyes weren't even trained on me. They were focused on something or someone behind me.

I whirled around in the seat, my eyes darting around for whatsoever could have caught my dearest friends attention. Then I saw it. The sight that cause that horrid pang in my chest, that caused that stupid forsaking feeling. I hated it.

Dearest readers, I had caught the sight of Maureen with her head down and her palms in the clasp of the one and only Joseph. He was giving to her his fullest attention as her body shook with heavy sobs, while he softly rubbed the back of her hand with his thumb. My chest did that clenching thing that it always did and I sighed. Joseph might have left Lois but it seemed Maureen was a perfect replacement.

Let me give you a little more insight on who Maureen was in the school. She was a social butterfly, friends with everyone from everywhere. She knew the people I could never even try to know, she was friends with people that even the mere sight of them made me barf but that was who she was and I couldn't keep her from being her own person.

So basically, I wasn't shocked that my so called best friend was associating with Joseph and his kind. I wasn't shocked that Joseph fell for someone like Maureen either. They were both perfect for each other if I must admit. And I was an obstacle, I was a problem. If Maureen ever found out I like Joseph, she'd feel guilty, like she was doing the wrong thing,which she was but who was I to judge.

I couldn't keep my eyes off them, they looked all snugly and prim and perfect. To be honest I was totally aware of the fact that I've been taught multiple times in church how relationships were a problem and a distraction and weren't for the younger generation but I couldn't help but want one, one with Joseph.

A few minutes later, Maureen finally rose her head and looked up to Joseph, she whispered a few words to him before standing up. I watched her leave the class after a quick wave to Joseph before proceeding to follow her.

She ended up going back to class and right to my seat, plopping onto the uncomfortable wood beside Mercy. "Reeny!" I called out loudly as I made my way to the seat. I watched her turn to me, a harsh glare on her face. "You wicked liar, don't ever talk to me again!"

~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to vote and comment! Sorry for all the late updates, my laptop is crazy.