Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

"Absolutely," Mom replies fiercely. "You and Aemilia actually have the easy part." She looks down to Lexie. "You have to pull him out just before the world collapses. That's the hard part."

Lexie looks at me from her spot on the floor in the middle of the circle. "You still don't know if this works, do you?"

I shake my head at her without saying anything. I don't want to tell her I don't know because I'm not seeing him.

Lexie takes a deep breath, blows it out quickly, and then closes her eyes. The room is silent for a moment, and then Lexie nods her head as she opens her eyes. "Valerio is ready," she says as she looks to the floor in front of her.

I look at R.C., and the look on his face is pure worry. When he catches my eye, he takes a deep breath, clears his throat, and nods his head. "I'm ready too," he says to me.

I take a deep breath, position my hands at my sides with my palms facing R.C., close my eyes, and then lower my head. At the same time, R.C. and I start chanting the complex spell. My hair covers my face from the violent wind that sweeps through the living room of the cabin. I lose my footing for a second, but I plant my feet in a fighter's stance and unleash everything I have inside of me into the spell. The floor starts shaking, I hear a crash, but I do exactly as Mom had instructed and push on.

My arms raise as I put more into the cadence, and I put them straight out in front of me towards R.C. Both of our chants become more forceful, more determined, and I can feel the prison world beginning to disintegrate. My fingers spread, I chant even louder, almost yelling, and then Lexie starts chanting. The force I'm using is so strong that it's like a weight pushing me down. I lower myself to my knees as the three of us chant harder and louder.

The floor is convulsing, windows are breaking, and then, I feel a release. The sudden freedom from the spell being over makes me lose my balance on my knees, and I fall onto my stomach as I open my eyes.

I push myself up as Valerio grabs Lexie off the floor. As they hold each other tightly, my hair sweeps across my face. I turn to my right, where a breeze is coming from, and see that part of the wall next to the front door has detached from the door, creating a large hole.

Mine and R.C.'s breathing is coming out in short bursts. My head starts to spin, my vision becomes spotty, and then my eyes roll into the back of my head as I pass out.

Valerio

I hear two thumps, so I break my kiss with Lexie. I look to the sides of us, and see Aemilia and R.C. are both on the floor. Panic fills me, but then Mom says, "They'll be okay. It was a powerful spell. Go, address the packs, your father and I will take care of them."

"Thank you," I reply, silently wondering why I wasn't effected by the spell that way. I kiss Lexie again, pushing the thought aside, curl my fingers, and take the two of us to Alpha Dubois. I have no intention of simply addressing the packs.