Prologue. [EXTENDED]

"I'm sorry, Mr. Payne, but I regret to inform you that you have failed to pass the English category of your state test--"

"WHAT?!"

"Please let me finish--"

"Now just wait a minute. Are you sure this is me we're talking about? There's got to be some more Mr. Paynes in this school."

"Liam,"

"I know. I'm being PUNK'D, yeah? Ha-ha, very funny."

"..Liam, this is a serious situation."

"I know, but.." Liam slowly crouched over, resting his elbows onto his knees so he could rest his face in his palms. After a few seconds of silence, he let out a small whimper. "I studied hard for that test."

"Mr. Payne, you scored a 220 on the reading and writing section. The lowest you could score just to be on a standard level would be a 225. Clearly you didn't study hard enough. I'm sorry." The principal organized the papers and utencils on her desk, continuing to speak. She didn't really look sorry. "You're going to have to retake this section of your state test by the final marking period of your senior year or, unfortunately, we will have to hold you back from graduation."

Liam rubbed his temples. Obviously getting left back this year was not an option in his mind. "Well, what can I do?"

"I highly suggest a tutor. I'm sure the Honors and AP students are willing to help. I can ask your counselor to set one up for you now, if you'd like?" Liam HATED the honors and AP students. They were like prissy private school students, and most of them separated themselves from the other students who weren't as smart as them and looked down apon them. Students like Liam. But he brushed them off his shoulder and tried to pay them no mind. "I'm more popular than them anyway." he thought. Isn't that all that mattered in highschool? Popularity? His thoughts were interrupted by the loud ringing of the school bell, causing the halls to flood with students who were making their way to their second class of the day.

"Whatever. Thanks, I guess." he mumbled and pushed the chair he sat in away from the principals desk, standing up. She nodded in response, and with that, he left her office.

"Hey, Liam!" an irish voice called out over the noise of the crowded hall, causing Liam to fully turn around. He spotted his close friend Niall and forced a small grin, allowing the blonde to catch up to him. "W'sup, mate?"

"Nothing exciting, Niall."

"That sucks." He chirped happily, swinging his arm around Liams shoulder. "You excited for our first game on Friday? Whole schools' gonna be there."

"I guess." Liam said in a sigh, looking down at at their feet with furrowed eyebrows.

"What's de'matter with you?" The boy gave Liam a look of concern, raising his eyebrows. Liam stopped at his locker and Niall unwrapped his arm from around Li's shoulder, leaning against the following locker. Liam pressed his forehead against the cold metal, closing his eyes. "I failed the english category of our state test."

"...So?" Niall asked without thinking first, causing Liam to shoot him a glare. The blonde's pale cheeks soon turned a light shade of red, embarrassed from his thoughtless action. "M'sorry. But why are ye so upset about it? It's just one section."

"I have to retake it. If I don't pass, I'm going to be held back from graduation." Liam ran his fingers through his fluffed hazelnut colored hair, letting out a long exaggerated groan before lightly punching his locker. "Now I need an AP student to tutor me."

"Seriously? That sucks. Who's gonna tutor you? A hot girl?" Niall winked, and Liam rolled his eyes playfully as he opened up his locker.

"I don't know. Apparently my counselor is gonna set it up for me." he answered, checking himself in the small mirror he applied in there himself. He quickly fixed his small quiff as Niall spoke.