Chapter One

Shit. I thought to myself. I was currently walking through the front doors of my stupid new high school, Eastwood. It's so unfair how when my parents divorced, I was forced to move in with my dad who lived all the way out in California. Sure, it's nice here but I know no one... absolutely no one.

I was like a minnow swimming in a giant fishtank of sharks and baracudas. It's like I was invisible. My throughts were inturupted when I had a front side collision with a boy who looked about 16.

"Sorry, didn't see you there." He said continuing to walk through the run down hallways of the school I now belonged to. I really was invisible.

The bell rang notifying that class began in 5 minutes. Transferring into a new school sure sucked, but transferring into grade 11 sucked even more. It was like a routine to the people around me; scattering quickly and neatly around the halls knowing exactly the direction of where their first class was. I had absolutely no idea where I was going. Fuck It. I'll just skip.

As I was about to exit through the front doors, someone caught my arm and spun me around. I turned to face a bald man about 6"1.

"And where are you headed on your first day of school?" He asked me in a deep monotone voice. I didn't have any words to say so I stood staring him blankly. "Right this way Mrs. Ryland."

I followed him to an office not far by the front doors and sat on the rust brown couch across from his desk. I was impressed he knew who I was on the first day. There had to be over 1200 people at this school. I stood staring at my entangled fingers resting on my lap waiting for him to speak.

"Skipping the first day Miss. Abigail? From your records, that isn't something I see you doing." I remained silent still playing with my fingers. "What's the problem?"

"I just didn't know where to go. I thought I might have left my scheduele in the car." I lied. But saying I left because I simply didn't feel like looking for my class sounded way to pathetic.

He turned to face the computer behind him and started to type. "Ahh, no problem. I just printed out one for you. Looks like you have science first in room 3106. That's on the 3rd floor. Do you think you can find it or do I have to escort you?"

"I've got it." I explained before standing up and straightening out the front of my hoodie.

So now not only would I be walking in as a new kid, I'd be walking in late as a new kid. Which is probably 300x worse.

I turned the handle of the door and it slowly swung open as all eyes were fixed on me. "Uhm... hi. I'm Abi." I said awkwardly to the teacher standing at the front of the class writing on an old fashioned chalk board.

"Mr. Arthur." He said shaking my hand. "Class, this is Abigail. She is the new student I was talking about. Please make her feel at home." He took out a clipboard with what looked like the seating plan. "Yes, take a seat beside Jack in the back there."

A burnette wearing a red hoodie raised his eyebrows at the mention of his name which made it easy to tell where I was going. I slowly walked down the middle aisle. My converse making scuff sounds as I stepped. I slumped down next to Jack as he eyed me up and down.

"I'm Jack. Jack Gilinsky." He said putting out his hand. I shook it making eye contact. He wasn't ugly, that was for sure. But he wasn't my type either.

"Abigail." I said back taking out my binder.

"Don't bother." He said in a whisper as the teacher spoke. "We don't do anything the first day anyways."

I nodded and slipped my book back into my black Jansport bag. The teacher mostly just went on about the new scheduele and went over the kind of things we'd be going through this year. It wasn't the most exciting thing. I was almost dead asleep by the time the bell rang 75 minutes later.