Chapter 15: Slightly Ominous Signs

The Seaside Kingdom was mostly what Mario and Cappy had been expecting. 

A pale beach lined the mainland, a sprawling sea of turquoise before it. Cliffs towered over the ocean, jutting out from both the shore and several tiny islands dotting the water. To one side, a small resort house rested against the pale ground. 

At the center of the area known as Bubblaine, the pride and joy of the kingdom stood tall. The Glass Tower rose out of a rocky island, the intricate glass and bronze design glittering in the sun as usual. The hat had read all about the special properties of the chalice, especially the topic of the liquid contained - the soda-like Sparkle Water that was home to the seaside settlement.

But both of them could say for sure that neither of them expected a giant octopus monster.

"What on.... What is that thing?" The plumber looked up at the rim of the Glass where the lilac beast sat, its tentacles wrapped around the glass. From its bearded mouth protruded a lengthy straw, one that stretched to the bottom of the chalice. The water was completely drained from the glass, and yet the cephalopod continued to suck up the bubbly liquid as best it could.

"I... what... the brochures didn't say anything about an octopus!" Cappy yelped in return. "And where are the streams of water feeding the cup? What's going on here?" 

"I'll tell you what's going on," a French-accented voice spoke up from beside him. Mario turned to see a strange mustachioed snail, its blue eyes glaring up at the creature. "Le poulpe just showed up one day, beard and all, and just started sucking everything up! Best part is, we can't do anything about it. At all. Believe me, we've tried, but us Bubblainians can't exactly reach it as it is right now." 

"But what happened to the fountains-" Once again, the Bonneter was interrupted.

"Plugged up. All four of them. Some heavy-duty corks, chains and everything! The turtle wasn't kidding when he said he would make sure the Sparkle Water would be his and his only. In a way, it is true - he's the only person who can drink it, now that he's got some and le monstre is up there."

"Oh, of course. Of bloody course it's Bowser..." sighed Cappy. "Well, we did this whole routine in Shiveria. Now we just gotta do it again." 

"You have any idea where the Moons could be this time?" Mario inquired. "The cave over there looks good right now." Without even waiting for his partner's agreement, he rushed off. The hat squeaked, but both of them knew it was useless trying to stop the young man.

The entrance guided him through a gentle incline and a steady onslaught of not-so-gentle rolling shells, their silvery spikes threatening the plumber at every turn. A group of rather unlucky Goombas frantically scurried around near the opening, too busy trying not to get squished to notice him. Thankfully, neither of the two adventurers ended up meeting the same fate that the mushroom-like creatures ran from. 

Once they were at a higher level, the source of all the strange shells revealed itself - a hole in the wall that practically had "Bowser's work" written all over it. A shabbily stacked wall of crates blocked the way to the first Moon. Cappy knocked them out of the way, and the violet crescent appeared. 

With the Moon pocketed and its contraption smashed to pieces, a nearby barrier deactivated as well, revealing a Ground Pound switch underneath. One slam later, a nearby lump of rock jutting out the sea began to shake, the chains holding a cork back slowly sliding off. Without the steel ropes holding it back, a spray of water emitting from the rock blasted the cork out, nailing the octopus on the head to a chorus of amazed gasps.

"What was that?" A single roar from the bearded purple creature silenced all the citizens. It looked around for a few moments, rubbing the spot on its head where the cork had made contact with. When its amber eyes settled on Mario, it began to rant in a rage. "So it was thou who did that, huh? Does thou think thoust can stop me? I, Brigadier Mollusque-Lanceur III, Dauphin of Bubblaine, will not allow that to happen!"