Chapter 2: To an Odyssey

It didn't take the duo very long to reach Top-Hat Tower. Mario was slowly getting to understand Cappy's most basic abilities. His partner had been able to destroy crates that blocked the path, and it was he who managed to activate the bridge leading to the tower. 

Dashing across the bridge, Mario was surprised to see three small, yellow Goombas waiting for him. Seeing his appearance, they jumped in shock and dashed towards him.

"What odd little fellows!" exclaimed Cappy from above him. "They seem to know you! And... not like you..."

These Goombas were nowhere as tough as the regular ones - it was written in their sickly color and minuscule size. Without a second thought, the plumber leaped into the air, sailing over the tiny creatures as they chased him in fury. Landing on a slightly higher ledge, he started towards the door of Top-Hat Tower, the small Goombas unable to reach the raised area. Too bad they can't jump like I can.

Running up to the door, Mario attempted to open it, but it didn't budge an inch. Pushing against it with all his might, he tried again, but to no avail. Pausing for a moment, he turned to stare at the Micro-Goombas. They had stopped their pursuit and had taken to wandering aimlessly around. Yes, top-notch minions indeed. Cappy then spoke up from atop his head. "So... you kind of missed the giant golden hat emblazoned on the door?"

"No, why?" Mario replied. "Isn't it just, like, the kingdom's symbol or something?"

Cappy sighed. "Oh come on. Are you kidding me? Here's a hint: Hat."

"So... what does it mean?" he asked.

He then felt a slight movement on his head. Cappy had just attempted to slam his face into his hair. "Just... Hat. Hat! HAT! HOW DENSE ARE YOU?!" When Mario didn't react, Cappy flew off his head and slammed into the door, opening it. "HAT. You're welcome."

"Ohhhh... I get it now!"

The hat returned to his head, sighing. "Please tell me you won't do that kind of thing for the rest of our journey."

Ignoring the sassy hat's comment, Mario hurried into the structure.

Top-Hat Tower looked serene and formal on the outside, but the inside was... a slightly different story. The entire area was made up of tall, pale platforms, so high that no man could dream of climbing them. At the very top, he could just make out a second door. The floor... was more like a pool. Smaller platforms bobbed about on the water's surface, but as the plumber landed on them, they quickly sank. On a grassy surface nearby, a frog or two hopped about. 

Mario stared up at the door, wondering how on earth they would get there. Cappy could fly, but he wasn't very strong. He was quite good at platforming - in fact, he was famous for it - but he couldn't jump from the water, and the platforms were insanely tall. That was when his partner interrupted, again. "How to get up there... I know! Try throwing me at that frog over there!"

Taking off his hat, he faced it - and its new pair of magenta eyes. "Cappy, are you alright? That's a weird idea. Why would throwing you at a frog do anything? Wouldn't it just... hurt the frog?"

"This may sound weird, okay? But trust me. It won't hurt the frog. It won't hurt anyone. Well, it may be a little painful. I'm sure the frog'll be fine, though. Just... do it, alright? Alright? Hello? You listeni- Ah."

Grabbing Cappy, Mario knelt down next to one of the green amphibians. He was about to place the hat on its head when it jumped off, seemingly trying to escape his clutches. Dashing after the creature, he found himself struggling to keep up with it. The hat in his hands then gave him a look and spoke up, annoyed. "I said 'try throwing me', not 'try gently placing me'."