36 ❀ Secret chef

Start from the beginning

My pack is dangerous and unpredictable, and I can't let my guard down.

Ezra is still in the room I recovered in, Hyrum standing beside him. My mate stands when I re-enter, his demeanor changing when his eyes collide with mine.

His eyes take me in from head to toe before a spark buzzes in his yellow gaze.

His tall figure bends to retrieve something from under the chair he once sat in moments ago, he pulls out an all too familiar pair of beat up, converse high tops.

"I thought you'd want these," He clears his throat awkwardly, seeming embarrassed, "since you've always got them on."

I nod, giving him a soft "thanks" before taking them and slipping them on my feet.

They fit like a glove.

Wiggling my toes, I look at Ezra through the dark strands of hair falling in my face. His expression is no longer shielded like it typically was before, instead he lets his emotions color his features, and it makes him more attractive.

Stupid, stupid mate bond.

"We better be heading out, it will be getting dark soon." Hyrum says, his thick accent rolling off his tongue like honey.

I don't ask my mate where we're going, I don't really want to talk to Ezra at all.

"Where are we going?" I very pointedly direct the question at Hyrum, and his lips twitch up into an amused grin.

He knows what game I'm playing.

"To our cabin. You should be safe there, Ezra wants to keep a close eye on you."

I huff and roll my eyes like a pouty teenager before facing my mate with narrowed eyes.

"What, think I'll be running away the first chance I get?" I ask. He shakes his head.

"No, nothing like that." He states, and I laugh.

"Well, I wouldn't be so sure, I am tempted."

The corners of his lips turn up the slightest bit, he knows it's just a bluff.

We leave soon after, trudging outside into the dark, cold night. The ground is still covered in thick snow, and the humidity in the air only adds to the chill that is not so forgiving to my furless skin.

I don't quite know the way, so I wordlessly follow the two enormous lycans as they stride through the crunchy snow with a grace that no one but a lycan could muster.

It's almost annoying how fluidly they move.

The pack is too quiet, I look around at the place I grew up and don't feel so connected to it anymore. It's like my strings have been cut and I'm no longer tethered to a life of torture.

I can leave anytime I want, and it's a good feeling.

As we venture into the woods, it grows darker and darker.

Putting a hand to my aching side, I resist the urge to ask "are we there yet?" like a child. I swallow it down and continue to follow in silence.

A flicker of light appears in the near distance, and I almost sag in relief at the sight of the little wooden cabin etched into the forest.

We climb up the squeaking steps, and when we get to the door Ezra holds it open and let's us in. I don't know what to do now as an awkward silence continues to fill the air.