The Truth

I watch Rocky in his study as I stand by the door. The typing on the keyboard confirms how concentrated on his work he is that he doesn't notice me.

I fidget with the envelope. This isn't good but he needs to know. I take the photo out of the envelope and then read the note silently, before slipping both into the envelope again.

"Are you going to come in or just watch me from the door?" Rocky's voice calls out.

I wipe my sweaty palm on my jeans. "I didn't want to disturb you."

He looks up from his computer and watches me. "Why do you look nervous?"

I don't say a word, I merely slide the letter across the desk to him.

Rocky watches the letter and then me. "What's is it?"

I lift my shoulders and slump them down again.

Rocky watches me in concern before removing the photo and note out of the envelope. He stops still and the usual playful demeanour he has...disappears. His eyebrows inch in and he looks serious.

"Where did you get this, Sky?"

"It came in the mail. There was no stamp or nothing so we have no idea who sent it."

Rocky frowns and it's the kind I haven't seen before, like something is truly wrong. "That's because someone must've been close enough to slip it in the mailbox and not post it."

He stands from his desk and makes his way to me. Without uttering a word, he pulls me into a hug.

"Don't worry about this," he says. "Let me handle it."

My throat tightens. "But that's our bedroom."

"I know," is all he replies back.

He kisses my forehead and disappears.

I watch him as he leaves, no idea what is going through his mind. I hope he doesn't do something risky or dangerous, but that is exactly what Rocky is known for.

When I turn around, Liam is standing at the door.

"Is Rocky here?" He asks.

I shake my head. "You just missed him."

He turns to leave but then stops short. "Is he coming back any time soon?"

"I don't know, to be honest," I say. "Did you need him for something?"

He holds up a blue folder. "I needed his signature for this."

"Oh," I say trying to reach for the folder. "I can get him to sign that for you."

Liam immediately pulls the folder behind his back. "That's fine," he utters. "I'll come back later."

Before I can say another word, he heads out the study.

He was acting weird. I mean I haven't known Liam for long but that was strange. I would assume he wouldn't hesitate to hand the folder to Rocky's wife.

I forgot to mention to Rocky that Liam was here to see him last night, although that late was quite strange.

——————————————

My phone rings. It's anonymous and if Paul thinks he can scare me then he's wrong. Technically if I don't answer the phone then he can't say what he needs in order to make this scheme of his work. The one mistake I made...was I didn't tell Rocky about the call but at that point it had left my mind.

I head down the stairs towards the kitchen where the butler is. "Did Rocky say when he would be back?"

"No, ma'am," he says as he dips his head and continues on with his work.