8. Indirect Confession Pt.1

Start from the beginning

A pause, and a tense second of silence, "We're here."

We practically slithered out of the car to get out of the tense air. Like most secret college parties, it didn't look like a secret. It was a large one-story house, the yard filled with cliche red plastic cups, and the music blaring unconventionally in everyone's ear. Luckily, it was dulled by the walls on the inside, making the idea of talking much more welcoming.

Just like the blaring music, and the overwhelming crowd, being here was also unconventional. Being anywhere with a Logan that looked just ready to run away from me was uncomfortable. But, it would help us get away from the apartment, and it would help us get the breath of fresh air that we both desperately needed.

And, besides, it would be rude of me to turn down an invitation from my classmate. It wasn't really. The classmate was David, a fraternity freshman that couldn't keep his eyes to himself. It was creepy honestly, because while I was trying to create a budding friendship with the guy, his body language towards me screamed 'fuck me'. And, as though I hadn't made it clear enough, I'm not interested in a quick fuck or relationships.

As if sensing my presence, David skipped over to me and Logan as we entered the largest area of the house. David was around my size, taller than Logan by a few inches and slimmer than me when it came to muscle mass. Logan noticed my classmate's enthusiastic skip and shielded himself from David, inching behind me.

The action made my chest puff with something similar to pride (because could he get any cuter?).

"Hi!" David chirped flirtatiously, gaze sultry as he stopped in front of me. The chipper tone didn't suit him, "I'm really glad you could make it Tripp—"

"Yeah," Quick and effective cut-off, for some reason he always made me suspicious of his words and actions. "Glad I could make it too, man. I hope you don't mind, I brought a friend along."

I shifted slightly to the side so that the bundle that was Logan became visible from his position behind me. David's eyes widened (I relate wholeheartedly) as he took in Logan.

"The more the merrier." He quipped, mouth parting as his body language changed again. "If you two are free we can—"

Another interruption, Logan really was perfect. "How do you two know each other?"

David pouted at the obvious rejection, something he should be used to thanks to yours truly. "We're classmates." He responded smoothly, not showing any signs of making additional advances towards either of us. "Hey, do you happen to know if Tripp's taken? If so, who's the lucky babe?"

Lord, give me strength to not strangle my classmate.

Logan sent him a (adorably) confused face. "Taken? No, Tripp isn't seeing anyone." My classmate whined at the response, his hands reaching upward to grip the sides of his head in faux pain. "At least I hope he's not."

My head snapped towards Logan after hearing the whispered words. His head was bowed, eyes flickering towards the ground. Was that my imagination? I looked over towards David, wanting to see if he too heard the words that were capable of tilting my world on its head, but he was still making a spectacle of his rejection. My eyes followed Logan as he excused himself from us, muttering something about getting us drinks. As he walked, I couldn't help but hope that it wasn't my imagination.

·͡ˑ·̫͡

For the hundredth time in the last hour, my eyes flickered towards the digital clock sitting comfortably in front of the counter next to the TV. It was late. Even when the avoiding-Tripp-mission was still very much an ongoing thing (cue: crying track), it was too late. That realization made a ball of anxiety twist in my gut. I sprang up from the couch as the door opened, eyes wide as Logan slammed the door behind him, clearly distressed. He leaned back against it, a clear sheen of sweat damping his forehead.