Set in Stone

By the time we had fully explored the park, my boys were exhausted and so was myself and the twins.

Yato had enough energy to drive home, but after we arrived and he had showered and changed, he was out like a light. 

The thing is, even though they had more physical freedom than me, I still thoroughly enjoyed myself along with their company. I actually had fun while they took the more adventurous and thrilling routes individually.

That night as I lay in bed next to my tired husband, the children within me started to kick beyond anything I've ever felt. I knew this wasn't what every expecting mother feared, for I'm only six and a half months along. I've got a little while to go before I reach that point.

I groaned as I pulled myself off the bed. I tiredly smiled as I looked down to the now large bump. I tenderly rubbed my hands over my stomach in an attempt to quell their tantrums. It was disrupting my well deserved sleep. But then again, ever since I got pregnant I haven't slept as well as I should've.

I peered down to the raging babies and I sighed.

"Who ever keeps kicking with that force is going to be a star soccer player, let me tell you." I whispered to them.

I got a few gentle kicks back as a response, and I took it that the other twin was reassuring me. It made me smile knowing they can hear me.

I hummed softly as my cravings eventually kicked in.

I swung both legs off the side of the bed and forced myself up. Once I had successfully achieved balancing myself on my swollen and exhausted legs, I moved forward near the kitchen.

I meandered into the kitchen sleepily to see the refrigerator door wide open with the light on. The hand gripping the handle belongs to Yukine when I turn the corner.

His blond hair is a mess and he yawns once he finds the milk.

His golden eyes meet with my magenta ones and we lock our gaze onto each other.

"What are you doing up so late?" I ask him first.

He grunts and pours the milk into what I assume is a bowl of cereal. When he's happy with the amount of liquid over the rainbow colored circles, he slides the dairy product back into the fridge and closes it.

He sits at the counter with a stool and sleepily stares at the multi-colored loops before him.

"I couldn't sleep," he says as the spoon enters his mouth. "Same as you apparently."

I doubt he's awake because he can. He's got a reason. And lately we've been kind of counseling each other. I don't mind it though. I get to connect with him more and he seems to understand me more.

"So," I start trying to strike a conversation. "I've got another ultrasound coming up."

"I heard. Yato gushes about you and those babies." he mumbles without taking his sight off the breakfast food before him.

"Yeah. Anyways, you want to join us? They're your siblings."

Yukine chokes for a moment on the food before the metal utensil in his hand drops abruptly onto the marble counter top.

His warm tinted eyes flicker to me and he looks nervous.

"Really?"

"Yes?" I ask confused. I honestly don't know what's going on with this boy. I can't read a room at all, and that's terrible for people skills.

He turns back to his food for another bite before he talks again.

"I didn't know you wanted me there."