Alone

I lay in bed alone. Yato already left to go on a job. Yukine is with him. So I'm home alone.

I thought about what Yato told me last night. Under the stars.

"Maybe it is best if we wait for kids. I just want to make sure you're okay with it."

So I sit there on the bed for a moment contemplating something. I was alone so I could do anything, but I don't really need to do anything. I could see my parents. Or take a bath. Or even garden out front which I've wanted to do for the longest time. I felt... free.

As I swing my legs over the bed to get up, I swear I hear my back crack. I'm only 23. How do I have this problem already? Maybe it's because my fiancé acts like a child. Or how I feel like I take care of two children already.

I make my way to the kitchen and look outside. I hear a knock on the door. It's kinda early though. I straighten my nightgown and go to the door. At first I see blonde hair on the person there and I shake; scared and intimidated.

I creak the door of the shrine open and of course Bishamon is there smiling. Smiling though. "H-Hi," I say. My voice comes out as an unintentional croak, but she doesn't change expressions.

"What's up?" I say casually like I'm starting a conversation with her at my front door. Then I get it. "Would you like to come in?"

Bishamon smiles again without speaking and takes me up on my offer. I then panic thinking our home looks dirty with a sloth, short-tempered teen, and responsible person living there. There's bound to be something out of place or something left lying around. And since I'm the adult with respect, it's automatically my responsibility to clean it up. Thanks Yato.

I pick up many textbooks and notebooks alongside putting pencils back and rearranging files Yukine had previously displayed on the kitchen counter and table. Bishamon seats herself at the table and I ask her if she wants tea.

She shakes her head no and looks around as I set a kettle with cups on the table anyway. Just in case, I told myself. I hadn't realized how uptight I must've looked. I should've been on good terms with her. Still, she surely intimidates me with her being a god(dess) of fortune. And of war nonetheless.

It was just an act of kindness to impress her. Her gaze falls onto the textbooks that lay disheveled on the furniture and the photos framed on the mantle and shelf. She smirks on the one of us with Ebisu at Capypa Land. We all look so happy and at ease aside from out busy lives. Mine falling into line with phantoms and gods and luck of the draw. Ebisu was a child's reincarnation at the time, and Yato seemed like the ideal father for him. He took him to eat more than once at the Olive Tavern and they seemed inseparable until Bishamon took him back with her in their possession. We felt like a family. It was one of the best times I ever had with them.

And it's the reason I ever even considered having a kid. It's a stretch from where we're at now, and with our wedding in less than a week, preparation is rushed and postponed. Maybe I should discuss it with him once more.

Bishamon wasted no time telling me why she came here.

"You're aware I R.S.V.P.ed your wedding correct?"

"Yes. Thanks for that,"

She nods. Not like a 'I salute you general' nod, but like a 'your my sister-in-law' nod. She was warming up to me. Not now, but gradual progress. Her and Yato have had their run ins, and her being the one with more authority, often put him in his place. They bickered like siblings, and even if they deny it, they forgave and forgot like siblings. They were close. And they're mending the rift in their relationship. It's better to be on Bishamon's good side anyway. I don't feel like a sacrifice or like I have to die right away anymore. I'm not a target.

"Make sure your soul stays in tact at the wedding, okay? Can't have you having Narcolepsy at the alter am I right?" she told me with a grin. She can joke too? Who am I making genuine conversation to?

She told me not to worry about the decorations, and I told her how my parents covered the cake and catering expenses. It was a lot of planning, especially the guest list. We invited humans, regalias, gods and goddesses, and even all of the gods' regalias. We are all a family somehow.

The hall was the garden entrance at Bishamon's shrine, not only for it's beauty, but for easy access to a path for humans and a walkway and entrance for the gods and their entourages.

I was satisfied with everything, including the dress. It was strange for when I went dress hunting with my mother, she spoke about her 'grandbabies' all the time and how my brother wasn't gonna give her any. 'Hiyori you're my last chance at happiness!' she told me. Like hell I'm having kids any day soon.

As I sip my tea and think about plans, Bishamon slides a card over to me and stands up. She straightens her coat and wraps her scarf around her neck. "What's this?" I ask her on her way out.

"I don't mind you reading it, but save it for Yato okay? And when he returns, I have to ask the two of you something. Until then, bye."

She leaves swiftly turning away. I wave at her even though she can't see my gesture. I flicker my eyes over to the card. It's in a white envelope, and by the looks of it, is pretty thick. What could be in this?

As I open it, I see many bills folded inside of the card itself. My eyes light up as I come to a realization. This must be compensation from Ebisu after everything. To think a god of fortune just hands over savings like this. But at the same time, he controls like all currency and money. I don't even think this scratched his bank account.

I nod as I hold the envelope. I know what this is for. And it's not for the wedding. It's for... what comes later.

And to think: I thought my mom was the one eagerly awaiting the arrival.