"If you make room for me to join you, I shall explain." Jene gestured to where I had stretched out, but I wasn't feeling in the most generous of moods.

"Nope."

"If you insist on impertinence, I shall return the favour." His voice turned teasing, but I ignored him. I couldn't suffer anymore rejection today.

"Do whatever you want, Jene."

"A vague and uninterested answer, but I shall do just that."

I chose, rather unwisely, to ignore his cheery tone. At the moment I just couldn't give up anymore of my emotions. After all of the rejection and anger I'd dealt with today, I didn't want anymore.

Before I could summon a protest, Jene slid behind me on the couch. As in his whole, delectable body pressed against mine. He wrapped an arm around my waist and snuggled me closer.

As much as I wanted to enjoy the moment, I couldn't, not after what I endured this morning.  I stiffened but he took no notice.

It was hard to ignore that intoxicating spicy scent that surrounded him. Being enveloped in his arms made me realise how huge he was compared to me. Somehow I felt so much safer, but also too aroused as he continued to hold me.

"What are you doing?" I demanded when he said nothing.

"Whatever I want, as you allowed me the freedom. At this moment, I owe you an apology, an explanation, and maybe a reasoning for my behaviour." He sounded quite ashamed, but I wasn't sure of his reasoning.

"If you're going to apologise for something then I want to actually see your face to make sure that you mean every word." I told him.

"Easily done."

He clicked his fingers and our position had now reversed. I faced him, eye to eye, but he continued to hold me, which I appreciated, but I wouldn't mention. His sudden touches and keen need to be close to me left me with growing suspicion. I'd known this man for three days, and he'd always avoided touching me, until now.

"Why are you doing this?" I had to clear my throat before I could speak.

Having him so close to me tended to overwhelm all of the synapses in my brain. There was a screaming need inside of me to kiss him again. I also wanted the chance to wrap my body around his. So many useless thoughts started scrambling my mind. I had to push them down and concentrate.

He didn't want me. That reminder made me stiffen my body even more. I may want him, but he'd proved more than once that he didn't want me. That's what I needed to remember.

"You see things far differently than I expected you to see them." He said, and I rolled my eyes at his words that told me nothing.

Ignoring my tingling, excited body, I forced a frown and remained stiff in his arms as I answered, "if you're going to apologise for something, then get on with it. I'm tired of nonsense words." I snapped.

"Firstly, I need to explain my behaviour, perhaps then you might understand my reactions a little easier." He looked me dead in the eyes, and their sapphire blueness threatened to drown me in warmth and caring.

"Okay."

"The first She-Gen told me that my Genie-Us would be known as Isla. I kept that name within my heart as I watched more genies appear. They would always find their Genie-Us, and I remained alone.

"Perhaps when I first met Isla, I saw something that was never truly there. I do not know. Perhaps I convinced myself that I fell in love when no such thing happened to me. In the end, I chose to see her and to let her be my Genie-Us." Jene talked about his past with an agonised expression and tone. Every time he mentioned Evil Isla by name he flinched and his face scrunched in pain.