Chapter 12: Ready to Fight

Two weeks had passed since their NEWTS. And there was only one more week left of school. That very week, the seventh years would find out their NEWT results. The atmosphere was tense, and everyone could feel the tension between each other. Everyone went around to each other, asking the same questions each time. The Gryffindors, Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws gave positive comments, and none of them were stupid enough to ask a Slytherin.

Hermione was particularly nervous. Wherever she went, she would be caught chewing her bottom lip anxiously. She jumped at random people and asked if she would pass, even Slytherins. Everyone would say she will pass, she was after all, the smartest witch in their year (though the Slytherins did not admit). The Slytherins would reply to her rather reluctantly, but they weren't stupid enough to go against Draco Malfoy's girlfriend.

(*)

On Thursday mid-morning, Hermione was sitting in the library reading her favourite book: Defensive Spells for Defence when Draco came storming in.

“Hermione! Quick go!”

“What? Draco, what's happening?”

“The Death Eaters are attacking Hogwarts, the Dark Lord has come to get Potter! Go, run!”

“How did you know Draco?” Hermione asked, wanting to make sure.

“Hermione, my father is a Death Eater, and they get notices straight away. Plus their children.”

“So you mean no one else knows?”

“Yes, maybe a few other Slytherins; other than that, no one else knows. Now go, go away from Hogwarts. I don't want you hurt. You’re a muggle-born, and they’re second on the Death Eater’s list of wanted.”

“Where will you be?”

“I have to go to the Death Eaters, or you will most definitely never see me again,” Draco told her. “Unless you dig up my grave,” he added.

“This isn’t a time for joking Draco,” Hermione said, suddenly stern.

“And this isn’t a time to do your job as Head Girl,” Draco answered back. “You have to escape, now. Before the Death Eater’s arrive.”

“No Draco, I'm not leaving the Hogwarts grounds alone. I've still got my friends. I can't leave them alone.”

“Stop being so loyal. You have to stay safe, I want you to stay safe.” 

“I know, but I just can’t leave Harry, Ron, Ginny, and all the others, and you. I can sacrifice myself if it is really desperate.”

“No you can’t,” Draco raised his voice slightly. “You’re my girlfriend, and I want you to always be with me.”

“I want to be with you too Draco, but if I was to choose between losing my friends and death, I’ll choose death.”

Draco knew there was no point arguing. Hermione's Gryffindor spirit was swelling to the size of a hot air balloon. 

“Fine then. But promise me to stay safe.” He gave Hermione a soft kiss on the lips.

“You too Draco,” Hermione ran towards the library door, but stopped at the door.

Hermione could feel tears welling up at her eyes. She couldn’t bear parting with Draco. She ran back to Draco, and brought his lips to her own. Hermione hoped with all her heart this wouldn’t be their last kiss.

(*)

Draco kissed Hermione back equally passionate. He never remembered being kissed so passionately. True, he had many girlfriends previously, but not one of them kissed him liked this, and he himself had never kissed anyone like this. Draco hoped with all his heart that this wouldn’t be their last kiss.