Chapter 18

4/27/19
(A/N: This book isn't dead. I won't let it die, I promise.)

As your body slowly struggled to wake up, you felt something gently combing through your hair. Letting out a small yawn, you opened your eyes to see Rodney smiling warmly at you. His fingers were carefully running through your hair.

"Good morning." You mumbled tiredly.

He chuckled. "It's about time you got up. We gotta go."

"Go where?" You quietly whined.

"I still have work, y'know." Rodney answered. "Now get up."

Stretching with yet another yawn, you relaxed further into the bed as you mumbled. "No. I'm staying here."

Rodney rolled his eyes with a small smile before pushing you right off the bed. You landed somewhat roughly on the floor. "Hey! That's rude!"

"And you're rude for not listening to me." He smirked, springing right out of bed. Rodney gently pulled you to your feet as he quickly took you out of the room with him. He tried to get the two of you out of the house quickly as to avoid his parents, but that plan didn't exactly work.

"I had a feeling you two would stay here." His mom said, looking up at Rodney from the chair she sat in in the living room. "Did you behave?"

"Yes, mom." Rodney groaned, causing you to giggle.

"We crashed as soon as we got back." You reassured her. "Out like a light."

"We'd love to stay and chat," Rodney began, "but we really have to be going."

"So soon?" His mother asked sadly, looking at her son before looking at you. "I barely got to talk to your girlfriend, Rodney!"

"Mom, you talked to her for hours yesterday." He deadpanned. "But we really have important work to do!"

"Yeah? Like what?" You smirked at him. "Must be this is more of a one-sided thing because I surely don't have any work to do."

He gently flicked your forehead before answering. "I was pretty set on doing some research with you. I could teach you about how us robots work and you could teach me how humans work so we can document that valuable information."

"Aw, I'm valuable?" You giggled, poking fun at him.

He quickly kissed the tip of your nose, replying, "Yes, of course you are." When he pulled back and saw your blush, he carefully pinched your cheek and added, "And research is going to start with that."

Rodney's mom looked over at you, exclaiming, "Humans can change colors?"

Rodney gave you a huge smirk, one that his mom couldn't see, before changing it to an overly innocent smile as he turned to face her. "It's called a blush. Humans apparently do that when they're embarrassed. Isn't it just cute?" He pinched your cheeks again.

You crossed your arms with a huff, puffing out your cheeks. "Ha ha." You laughed sarcastically as your blush subtly darkened. "So clever. So funny." Swatting his hand away, you asked, "Weren't you the one that was so desperate to leave?"

Starting to walk towards the door, Rodney pulled you back and hugged you tightly from behind. "Yes, but weren't you the one that wanted to stay here?"

"If you weren't made of metal, I'd slap that smirk right off your face." You quietly growled, not even needing to look to make sure the smirk was really there. You just knew it was.

His mom giggled. "Rodney, let the poor girl go."

"Listen to your mom, Rodney." You smirked. "You wouldn't want to disobey your own mother, would you?"

He groaned but nonetheless freed you. "Bye mom! See you soon." Rodney smiled as he pulled you out the door. His mother giggled once more before heading into the kitchen. She absolutely loved that you two were together.

You refused to talk to Rodney on the way to the train station, but he knew you weren't really mad. He internally chuckled at your childish behavior. One thing he loved about you was how easy it was to get you to change sides. One minute you would be really playful and snarky, the next you could be flustered and irritated. To be honest, he loved both sides equally.

The train eventually took off, and only then did you finally speak to him. "You're a nuisance." You huffed.

"Gee, thanks." He smirked as he spoke with a sarcastic tone. He draped an arm over your shoulders and pulled you closer to his side, leaning his cheek on the top of your head. "At least you're very cute."

"Yeah? And what about you?" You smirked, but snuggled further into his side anyway. "Still rusty and dusty by the looks of it."

Rodney laughed, then gently grabbed your hand and held it in his. "You're lucky that your cuteness makes up for your rudeness." He murmured.

"And you're lucky that I don't slap you, Rodney." You retorted. "Didn't your parents ever teach you to be kind to your girlfriends?"

He playfully scoffed at your remark. "I treat you like royalty."

"Sure, peasant. Sure." You rolled your eyes. "Keep telling yourself that."

Rodney swiftly pulled you onto his lap and loosely wrapped his arms around your waist. He nuzzled his face into your neck as he mumbled, "Guess I'll just have to show you. Right here, right now." You were about to object with another snarky comment, but stayed in quiet bliss as he began to leave very soft kisses all over the side your neck.

You hummed in content as you leaned further back against him. He started to move his kisses towards the front of your neck, and a shaky sigh escaped your lips as he gently kissed a certain spot. A dark blush exploded onto your face.

He stopped when he heard that. Moving his head to look at you with slight concern, he asked, "Are you alright?"

"Of course." You smiled, tilted your head in slight confusion.

"But that breath was weird, wasn't it?"

You physically facepalmed. You laughed, "You really don't know anything about humans, do you?"

"Not really." Rodney replied. "I mean, it's not like they're exactly seen on a daily basis around here."

You smiled warmly at him. "Y'know, I think human research will really do us some good."

"Yeah?" He hummed. "How so?"

"First of all, you won't be so clueless." You smirked, your comment making his eyes roll. "Secondly, we might be able to work some more things out that can make this relationship better."

Rodney smiled at you, giving your body a small squeeze as he tightened the hug briefly. "I'm happy you're all for my idea. To be honest, I thought you were going to find it weird at first."

"Rodney, I know you." You smiled at him with a quick wink. "You're an inventor, so you're a naturally curious and inquisitive robot. I really wasn't surprised when you were so eager to learn more." You turned in his lap so your side was pressed against his chest. You leaned your head into him, to which he responded by resting his chin on your head.

"I love you so much, (Y/N)." He whispered.

"I know." You replied. "And I love you just as much. By the way," you began, "we need to do something about my device."

"What's wrong with it?"

"I can't just have it keep sending me to random places in your world the way that it does." You giggled. "We need to find a way for me to be able to choose where I appear when I'm transported here."

"I can see how that could be a problem." He chuckled. "I'll see what I can do today."

"Good, because I need to get home and eat breakfast. I'm really hungry." You mentioned.

"Yeah, can't have you dying on me like that again." He smiled.

"Hey, it's not funny!" You playfully spat.

"No, it's not." Rodney smirked. "But that doesn't mean it isn't true."

"Geez, you're a real pain." You scoffed.

"A royal pain for my royal queen."

"Oh my god, shut up!"