Part Two

PART TWO

“Oh no! They’re arriving!” Mrs. Young cried, running around with a bowl of salad in her hands.

“Breathe, Mom,” Kathleen sighed, “it’s only Svetlana and Andrei. Holy crap, you should see her baby bump!”

“Kathleen! Language around Lucy, please!”

“Sorry!” Anya laughed softly and rocked her baby sister from side to side. “Don’t laugh at me Anya!”

“I’m not,” she lied. There was a knock at the door and her mother went to answer it.

“Guests arriving and he’s not even home yet! Probably got hung up at the office-” she ranted as she went. “Hello Svetlana! You’re certainly budding!”

“Thanks Aunt Tatiana,” Anya’s cousin replied. “Where are they all?”

“Anya, Lucy and Kathleen are in the living room and the others are upstairs.”

Grinning at Svetlana, Anya stood up and went over to hug her. “I’ve missed you, Lana.”

“Aw, I missed you too little cous! Senior year this yeah, eh? Got your eyes on any boys?”

“God, no! Why would I want one of them?”

“That’s what I used to say, until I met my Andrei…” Svetlana smiled over at her husband, her face love-struck. Anya shook her head, struggling to keep her laughter in.

“If you want to talk about boyfriends, talk to Kathleen.” She turned around to call for her other sisters so they could say hello, but her mother interrupted her.

“Anya, sweetheart, can you go get your father from the office? He’s probably gotten caught up in his work again, and all of our guests are about to arrive!”

Shaking her head at her mother’s frazzled look, she sighed and put Lucy down on the couch. “I’ll go, it’s not too far.”

Her father’s real estate agency was on Main Street as well, and if Anya power-walked she’d probably get there before any more of the guests came.  

“Thanks again, dochʹ.” Anya left the house again and arrived in front of her dad’s agency around ten minutes later.

“Dad?” she called as she entered. His secretary, Hannah, wasn’t at her desk for some reason. Anya didn’t think anything of it (she might be on an errand or something) and headed straight for his office. Not bothering to knock, she opened the door.

And instantly wished she didn’t.

“Bozhe moy! Kakogo cherta ty delayeshʹ?” she shouted after covering her eyes.

“Anya!” her father cried, horror in his voice. “I, uh-”

“Kak ty mog eto sdelatʹ?” she moaned. “Chto o materi?To, chto o nashey semʹye?”

“I can’t understand what you’re saying, baby girl."

“Vyegoistichnyy ublyudok!” Anya shouted. “GO TO HELL!”

“I think she’s angry, Frankie,” Hannah, her ‘father’s’ secretary said airily.

“YOU THINK? I’M GOING TO GO AND TELL MOM RIGHT NOW, YOU CHEATING PIECE OF CRAP!”

“No, Anya, please! It was a mistake- an ongoing mistake… I’ll… I’ll never do it again!”

“I don’t care!” She took a deep breath. “You have to tell Mom by the end of the week, or I will.”