The Miller Inn is the hotel that was just built recently and benevolently named after Ian Miller. The name reveal of the hotel truly hit home with everyone because it was so heartwarming to know there is a building here at Westchester named after my forever love, making it impossible for his unforgettable character to be forgotten about.

I was sitting in a comfortable chair on the balcony, watching all the families and teens enjoy their holiday in the bright and hot sun. Suddenly, I wasn't very comfortable and my seat felt damp underneath me.

Then it clicked.

"Mason," I called behind me into the hotel room. I put my hands on the armrests and pushed myself off of the chair slowly. "Mason!"

He rushed out of the bathroom with shaving cream all over his face. "Is it time?" I nodded.

Of course this baby would choose to come on the Fourth of July.

   Mason grabbed the emergency hospital bag and swung it over his shoulder. "Can you walk, babe?" Slowly but surely, I could.

   We took the elevator down to the lobby, where Caroline was waiting for us with a wheel chair. "I already sent Anthony to your car to bring it around front."

   Mason could not have been more prepared for the baby, really. He packed the hospital bag without me having to ask, he left his spare keys with Anthony so he would be able to pick us up if need be, Caroline was on-call in the lobby to get us a wheelchair. He is ready to have this baby. It motivated me and frightened me at the same time.

   I love seeing Mason so excited, but I still had fear within me over the possibility that I won't love my child.

   The nurse at the hospital already had a room prepared for us, once again kudos to Mason for calling to inform them, and we were taken straight to it.

   Anthony stayed behind at Westchester to inform our close friends and family, then gathered Kaila and made his way to the hospital.

   "Are you ready, Josie? It looks like your baby boy will be ready within the next 20 minutes."

   Anthony better step on it and get Kaila here pronto. I love Mason and all, but Kaila has and always will be my main support team. She needs to be here as I give birth to my son.

   "Sure," I nodded. Realistically, I'm not ready at all. I don't know the works of being a parent; it's not like my parents were model parents to strive to be like.

   "I'll be back in just a few minutes then we will begin," the doctor informed me with a polite smile.

   I was staring at the door she had just walked out of for a few minutes, until I could feel Mason staring at me. I turned my head and raised my eyebrows.

   "I love you so much, Josie."

   "I love you, too."

   When I told Mason about my worries, he comforted me just like I hoped and expected he would. He promised me that he would love our baby enough for the both of us until I was finally ready. He swore he understood the reasoning behind my fear, making me feel so much better. He never makes me feel like my feelings are irrational, and I appreciate that about him so much.

   "I'm here!" Kaila announcer, bursting through the door. I'm not exactly sure how she got in here through the nurses, but it didn't matter. I was finally ready to have this baby out of me.

   Kaila gave me a sloppy hug, having to work around the tubes hooked up to me and my laying down position, then hugged Mason too.

   For a moment, my mind wandered to how crazy it is that we have been through so much together. Starting at 12 years old when our quartet originally met, to now as a trio. Together, we have made it through middle school and high school, survived college and breakups, we consoled each other as we mourned Ian's death. Now, they will both be by my side as I give birth.

   The doctor walked in and clapped her hands together. "Who is ready to have a baby?"

   I guess we are about to find out.

~•~

   "One more push, Josie," the doctor insisted. I let out a painful groan and pushed one last time.

   Then, I heard it. I heard the sound of my baby boy crying loudly for the whole corridor to hear. I watched the doctor pass him off to a nurse who instantly wrapped in a light blue blanket. The nurse gently placed him in my awaiting arms.

   I finally understood what exactly my therapist meant when she said my whole world will change when I meet my baby boy.

   He instantly filled a gap in my life that hasn't been remotely filled since Ian died. This baby is exactly what I have been needing for years.

   "What's his name?" Kaila asked.

   Mason and I have had the baby's name picked out since we found out his gender, but we've chosen to keep it a secret from everyone. It's been so hard keeping it from Kaila, but I somehow managed.

   "Parker James Cooper."

   We chose his middle name to be James because it was Ian's middle name. We both agreed we wanted Ian to be a part of our family forever and giving our first born son the same middle name as him felt like the perfect way.

   "Like E?" I could see her eyes tearing up when she realized what we did. Mason smiled and nodded.

   Like the great Ian James Miller.

   "And now we can call him PJ," Mason grinned.

   I rolled my eyes and chuckled. That was what sold him on Parker instead of Ethan.

   Baby Parker was no longer crying, thankfully. He seemed so peaceful and content in my arms, even if he was still a bloody mess.

   "I'll give you two — I mean, three a minute." Kaila quietly left the room to leave Mason and I alone with Parker.

   "I love him so much already," I told Mason honestly, unable to take my eyes off of our beautiful creation.

   I had no idea I needed this so much in my life until I was handed my entire world in the form of an 8 pound human that I created.

   "I knew you would."

   For the first time in two years, my life felt complete. I have Mason, my husband whom I love, my newborn son, and my amazing and supportive friends and family.

   I may not have Ian Miller, but I know he is watching over me intently. Ian is not physically here with me, but the memories I have made with him and the happiness he brought me in my ten years of knowing him was enough to last forever.

•••

How sweet, I love it!
Wow, only ONE chapter left, and it's just the epilogue. I can't believe I really wrote this story in a year and I'm so proud of it.

Don't forget to...
Vote
Comment
Follow
Share
Check out my other stories!

- Emily
B.E. Better Everyday