Chapter 38

"A gunshot?!", I breathed. "Mirio... Please be alright."

The gunshot echoed through the halls. It wasn't too close, but not very far either.

I picked up my pace and started running. I heard the vague echo of shouts and the rumbling continued.

I put my ear against the wall on my left. The rumbling was deafening here.

This is it. This is where they're fighting.

I stepped back and absorbed darkness. I was sure my irises were turning black from the amount I was absorbing and raised my hands.

"Boom", I whispered and I fired a blast that broke trough the wall.

The scene I arrived at made me clench my jaw.

Mirio was bleeding from a wound in his side and blood was seeping out of a gunshot wound on his back. On the floor behind him was a small girl with long white hair. She had one horn on the right side of her forehead. I knew that that had to be Eri.

I growled and looked at Overhaul, who was standing on the other side of the room. I absorbed a ton of darkness, my eyes turning dark black.

"Wraith, no!", Mirio warned.

I didn't listen and fired a huge blast at Overhaul, making sure to place my feet steadily on the ground to prevent myself from being blown back by its force.

Overhaul dodged my attack, but cocked one of his brows.

"Not bad", he commented from behind his beak-like mask.

"N-No! He'll kill you!", Eri yelled.

"You'll be fine, Eri", I said as I carefully watched Overhaul. "Lemillion, protect her and stay back. I'll fight Overhaul."

"Don't tell me to stay back, I can help you!", Mirio answered.

"You are injured", I retorted. "Eri's safety is our number one priority. Keep her safe. You might not feel it now, but your injuries are bad. You shouldn't fight."

I turned my head the slightest bit, but I couldn't afford to take my eyes off Overhaul.

"Trust me", I said.

Mirio hesitated but nodded once.

"Come here, Eri", he said.

He lifted the little girl in his arms and moved to the back of the room behind me. I destroyed the spikes of stone Overhaul sent towards them with darkness and narrowed my eyes.

I squatted down while absorbing darkness. I touched my hand to the ground and let the darkness seep into the concrete.

I grinned as I made it explode, resulting in the floor shattering into tiny pieces. Overhaul narrowed his eyes at me.

He has to touch something to use his quirk on it. When the ground's in pieces, he can't use his quirk on it so easily.

I teleported behind the villain, using my momentum to spin-kick him in the head. He dodged and reached for my ankle. I quickly teleported away.

If he touches me, I'm dead. He'll 'disassemble' me in a second, and I doubt he'd reassemble me.

I absorbed more darkness and emitted it from my hand. It engulfed overhaul and I let it solidify, but he seemed to have been waiting for that.

I yelped when he 'disassembled' the temporary prison. Usually it didn't matter what happened to my darkness, but when I was still controlling it and he made it explode into a million pieces, it felt as though my insides were ripped apart.