38

Emily's POV:
   I broke my own heart by doing this to us. To Alison. But it's what has to be done. Maybe one day we can fix all of this and be together again, but today isn't that day.
   It's been a month since I last saw Ali face to face. She moved to Beacon Heights to start a new teaching job at their college. We tried our best to explain this to the girls, but they only saw it as me sending away their mom. They resent me..even though they live with me. Ali and I have been texting...but not as much really. She barely answers me..I know she's afraid to answer that phone and hear what I have to actually say. 
   I finally sent the divorce papers to her apartment in Beacon. It broke my heart to actually do it, but if I didn't do it now it would've never been done. I waited a few days until I knew it was delivered to her. She never texted me, called, or even emailed me. I called her a few times but she didn't answer. So I left her a few voicemails and nothing. I decided to message her.

Texts:

Emily: "Ali I know you're getting my messages. Please answer me."

End of texts...

   I wanted nothing more than to curl up into a ball and cry my heart out. But I had to accept what I was doing and move on. And so did Alison.

Alison's POV:
   Mona and I had a heart to heart about Emily. She said it was my time to move on and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I didn't want to move on...I wanted Emily. A month has gone by and even though there's all of this crazy stuff happening here in Beacon..I can't help but think of Emily. I want our life back, I want her and our family back.
   I was drinking my glass of wine while I held the picture of Emily and I holding our girls as babies...I took a huge sip of the wine and placed the glass down. I rubbed my thumb over the picture and placed it down. I sat down at the table and signed the divorce papers. It took every ounce of me to not cry as I signed my legal name. Alison Lauren Dilaurentis-Fields. I was now just going to be Alison Lauren Dilaurentis. No Fields. I placed the papers back into the envelope and placed them in the mailbox in the hall of my apartment complex.
   I went back into my apartment and went up to my room, grabbing the picture of my family on the way up. I laid down in my bed with the photo and cried myself to sleep. This truly is the end of our amazing story.