thirty-one

Pacing the tiny balcony overlooking Warwick Street, Dave lit his second cigarette in ten minutes and redialed Taylor's number.

"Pick up, motherfucker," he growled.

Leaning against the wrought iron railing, he looked back to where Liz was sitting cross-legged in the middle of the big bed, curiously holding up an especially intimidating looking vibrator, only to jump in surprise when it lit up and bounced out of her hands and across the sheets.

"Disco!" Taylor's happy laugh mixed with a background of loud splashes and several little voices. "Didn't think you'd call for another few hours!"

"What the fuck, Hawkins?!"

His irritation apparently only fueled Taylor's delight, "Oh, chill out, dude. It's just some whips and chains."

"There's shit in there that would make Ron Jeremy blush!"

"Yeah?" the sound of a door closing blocked the noise of the kid's pool party and made Taylor's laugh even more apparent, "I'd ask you to send me some pics, but I have a feeling that's still a sore subject for you."

Dave took a deep breath and pulled the phone away from his face before he said something he'd regret, "She still recovering from delivering your kids, Taylor! And you want me to tie her to the bed and beat her with a fucking leather whip?"

"I mean... if she's into it, yeah."

"I swear to fucking god, T-"

"You know she can handle it, right?"

Dave picked up the sudden serious undertone in Taylor's voice and his jaw locked open. Unable to reply, he glanced over to the bedroom that was now empty.

"She's not as fragile as you think, man," Taylor said softly into the silence. "In fact, I'm pretty sure the only reason you're still carrying her around like a duffle bag made of glass is that you're scared that if you don't, she won't need you anymore."

Dave hung his head and grumbled something incoherent, pissed that Taylor had once again called him out and exhaled the last his cigarette while muttering, "I had a plan, though. One that didn't involve..."

"Competition from a pair of double A batteries?"

"Fuck you."

Taylor laughed again and even from a continent away, Dave could just see that obnoxious wide smile on his face, "Just do some shots, loosen up a little, go at it with an open mind. She's gone without sex just as long as you have so you never know, maybe you'll be building a dungeon in your basement when you get home."

"I'm hanging up now, Hawkins."

"Bye, Dave! Don't break a hip!"

Ending the call and shoving his phone back into his pocket, Dave swore under his breath and stepped back into the bedroom, listening for any clues as to where Liz had disappeared to. The bottle of whiskey that had been on one of the nightstands was now missing as well, making him frown.

"Babe? Where'd you go?" There was a stumbling sound from the closed closet door which he found locked when he tried the handle. "Liz?"

"Yup! I'll be out in a second!"

Her muffled voice sounded like she was out of breath, making him press his ear to the wood, "You okay?"

More shuffling and footsteps greeted him and before he could jump back, the door unlocked, opened and Liz stepped straight into his chest. She gasped and righted the glass of whiskey in her hand, "What the hell are you doing?"