fourteen

"I look like such a dork in a tie," he muttered.

Liz glanced over her shoulder at him while Josie fussed with the full skirt on her gown. "You absolutely do," she giggled, reaching back for his hand, "It's probably one of my favorite things about you."

"Yeah?" he stepped forward so her back grazed his chest, not caring that he was most likely interfering with whatever Josie was doing. Just as he leaned in to kiss the ridge of her shoulder, the wall of cameras several feet away lit up and their names were thrown around in the increasing pandemonium. 

The Oscars red carpet was their first scheduled public appearance since the disaster that was the Grammys and while the tangle with Calliope was still managing to pull headlines across the internet, Dave and Liz were letting their actions take the place of any public statement or rebuttal. They weren't even officially on the red carpet yet, some B list actress was currently taking her turn posing on the black tape marks, but the cameras were now trained on their affectionate moment.

Josie finished perfecting Liz's gown and hopped up to manhandle Dave into position. "Whatever you do, don't touch her belly," she warned with a finger pointed straight between his eyes. "This dress can only hide so much so don't go bringing attention to it, okay? Just keep your paws on her back."

"Yes, Satan," he tossed back at her and bit back a smile when he heard Travis chuckle behind him.

"And you!" Josie turned her attention to Liz, "Keep your fucking hands in your pockets! It makes the skirt fuller."

"But my ring-," she tried, holding her hand out to her friend, "I'm supposed to show it off..."

Dave cleared his throat to prevent himself from saying something snarky. He hated how choreographed their night was becoming, but it was his own damn fault. Both of their management teams wanted them trotted out looking happy and in love so the masses would continue to side with them, but it was hard. Not that they weren't, for the most part, happy and in love but Liz still hadn't divulged the reasons for the late night texts with Taylor. The visits had waned and the envelope that was once hidden in her jewelry chest had disappeared, only leaving more questions in their absence.  

"Fine," Josie ceded. "Link your arms and rest your hand on his wrist. That'll keep him from feeling you up, at least."

"I've got two hands, Josephine," Dave reminded her. Their relationship had always been a little tense, but after Calliope it was downright bitter.

"Good. You can use them to defend yourself when I finally kick your ass," she shot back with an acidic grin. "Okay, you two. Go have fun!"

If there was anything he hated more than a red carpet, it was a red carpet he couldn't have fun on. There were no keg cups, no other musicians, no party atmosphere that he could build on. He did have Liz, but she stood stiffly beside him with her hand gripping his wrist so hard he could feel his own pulse until someone in the press wall screamed, "Mrs. Grohl!" and she began to laugh. 

"Not sure I'll ever get used to that," she giggled and relaxed into him, "This is much more tolerable now that you're stuck with me."

"A year ago I was waiting inside for you," he reminded her. "I drove Taylor up the fucking wall checking my phone for a photo of you."

"A year ago I was wishing you were out here with me," she replied, her eyes still scanning the press wall, "Seems like it's been a lot longer, though."

"Would you still have married me if I had just shown up that day?"

Liz's smile slipped a little. "Here? Last year?"