twenty-eight

A/N: If you follow my IG you already know this, but ya girl was in Seattle last weekend at the right place and the right time. I'll never complain about the tourist trap the Market is ever again.

Dave tip-toed the few feet down the hallway between hospital rooms and ducked into the one with the large orange sign announcing to whoever entered that Liz was a 'Fall Risk'.

"Seven pounds two ounces for David and six pounds ten ounces for Alex," he announced when Liz looked up from her phone.

"Bullshit," she smiled, "Alex was at least twenty pounds."

He chuckled at that and dropped into the chair beside her bed, leaning over to untangle her arm from some tubing. From the moment he was allowed to see her after the boys were born and she was closed up, he was on a giddy high. With their part of the commitment over, they could move on with their lives and Dave had so many things planned. He wanted to concentrate on them, wanted to go back to the start and build up the foundation that they had skipped over in their haste to marry, and he wanted to start with the honeymoon they never took. But first, she had to heal.

"How are you feeling?"

She opened her mouth to reply, but nothing really came out. Just an unsure squeak accompanied by a shrug.

"I can't do much with that, babe," he said gently.

"I know, I'm sorry," she huffed. "I don't really know how I'm feeling. It's like half of me is so happy it's over and the other half of me is frantically looking for the baby that... I-"

The tears came so swiftly and so abundantly that they caught Dave off guard. "Whoa," he darted up and over to her, enveloping her in his arms as best he could without moving her around too much. The image of her skin pulled apart with clamps and clips was still so fresh in his mind and knowing that they only used glue to put her back together made him just a bit nauseous.

"I'm sorry!" she cried, shaking her hands out in frustration and surprise at her own outburst. "I'm so sorry..."

"No... baby, no," he stopped her before she could start to spiral, crouching so he was eye to eye with her, "There's nothing to be sorry for. Do you want to try feeding them? Maybe that would-"

Her stare went from pained to scared, stopping him immediately. "No," she sniffled. "I'm not ready."

"Okay, do you want me to go steal another baby? Cause-"

"David!" she gasped, but allowed him a smile when she realized he was messing with her, "Oh my god!"

"I'll give it back once you're done, I swear. It's like two in the morning anyway, they won't even know it's gone. I bet they'll even appreciate the break."

"Shut up," she laughed and wiped the tears from her cheeks. "Once this spinal wears off I'm gonna need you to not be funny for like a month, okay?"

"No promises," he grinned and stood again, pleased he could help her out of her first breakdown, though he was sure there were many more to come. "You need to try and sleep, though."

"I have to pump in like an hour," she protested, looking over at the massive hospital grade breast pump on the table beside her.

He sighed in mock annoyance and squinted down at his phone screen. "Setting the dairy cow alarm for 4 AM. You want it to 'moo' when it's time or just beep at you?"

He hadn't even looked up at her before a pillow flew across the room and collided with his face. "Smart ass," she laughed through a yawn, "How about 'For All the Cows' or 'Milk It'?"