Chapter 44- When Flames Die

((Season 8 Spoilers in music video.))

Beyond the wall was much colder than I had expected. And not surprisingly, much more dangerous. I stood with Jon's arms around me, his furs gripped tightly between my fingers. "Stay close to me." He whispers in my ear before laying his forehead against mine. "I shouldn't have brought you here."

"I didn't give you much of a choice." I smile kissing the tip of his nose. I don't care that the men around us watch. He could be their King or a man they respected but he was my Jon. "I'm never leaving your side again, Jon." I promise him. I'm pulled away from our moment as I watch the Hound chuck a rock at the army of the dead that surrounded us. One takes off the jaw of a dead man.

"Don't antagonize them, Ser." I say, pulling away from Jon and putting a hand on my hip.

"Sorry princess." The hound says, looking back at me with the slightest smile. "But I'm bored." He chucks another rock but this one falls short. I watch as it skids across the ice, landing in front of the line of dead men. All of us turn to the one that looks at the rock. It takes a cautious step into the ice before walking foreword, dragging its sword along the ice. More follow.

I grab my daggers, backing up against Jon who takes out Longclaw. We stand in a circle on the small rocky island. Sandor is the first to attack, using his hammer to the dead man's side, sending him skittering across the ice. We all begin to strike down the closest dead man to us. I stab two of them directly in front of me, pulling back so their their bony bodies fell to the ice bellow. I look out at the surrounding army. Thousands come pooling into the frozen lake before us.

Jon, grabs me and pushes me to the side as a dead man lunges to me. He stabs it through what once was it's heart and puts out a hand for me. "Don't get distracted." He pulls me to my feet just in time for me to stab one in the eye behind him.

"I could say the same for you, Snow." We cut them down, back and forth as we stand back to back. A flaming one rushes towards the one we had chained up and Jon runs over, brushing it to the side with his blade. I defend him as he makes sure the wight is still tied up. I watch another man behind dragged down into the icy ground below. When I move to help him Jon grabs me, shaking his head. I watch the man get eaten alive.

"Fall back!" Jon screams, grabbing my hand and pulling me to the highest point of the island. I look back to see Tormund jumped on by a wight. Multiple surround him. I pull away from Jon's grasp, rushing to his aid.

"Help me!" He screams from under the bodies of the dead, digging at him with claws. I push past the two men who stand behind Tormund. I stab the surrounding wights, ducking as one tries to grip my hair with its bony fingers. I finally reach Tormund, stabbing the back of the head of the wight that lay on top of him while The Hound hammers the ice of the two that pull him towards the lake. I push the dead wight aside and put my hand out for the red head.

"Come on." I beckon, pulling him towards Jon. Jon pulls the wight higher up onto the island as another dead man comes behind him. I yell to warn him and he turns, stabbing it in the stomach. One of the other men accompanying us rushes towards the other attacking Jon. He is able to fend it off but is pushed towards the edge of the island. Jon slices the one pushing him and reaches out but just misses the man's hand. He falls into the crowd of dead men and his screams pierce the night. Jon's eyes find mine, pain behind them. I knew the screams would haunt me for the rest of my days.

We all are cornered to the edge of the island. I watch as the dead pile on top of each other to get to us. I stand next to Jon and grab his hand. His eyes find mine and all I want to do is take us away. Kiss him till all his fear goes away. But here we are. On an island surrounded by dead. We look down at the approaching wights. "I love you, Jon Snow." I say, gripping his hand before facing the wights in front of us.