Chapter 1: Spring Break

Start from the beginning

        As if on cue the class started hollering, counting down the seconds in harmony. "Ten!" This is it.

        "Nine!" Cole spun on his heel facing the direction of the window. I wonder how the weather is today. Wagering on warm? He questioned himself, slipping his jacket off and placing it on top of his books in his backpack. Fastening it back up and heaving it back over his shoulder.

        "Three, Two... ONE!" The class all stood up, some of the students snatching their bags while others were already pushing their way through the doors and into the congested hallways.

        "COLE!" an ear pounding scream sounded from outside of the classroom, trailed by a preppy blonde shoving her way through the students escaping the confines of the room. Running through the room with a grace only she could pull off. "Are you excited for Spring Break?! She squealed forcing Cole into a hug. He wriggled under her tight hold for a moment, conceding once he realized he couldn't possibly escape her.

        "As excited as I'll ever be!" He retorted, throwing up one of his signature crooked smiles. She promptly let go of him, preoccupying herself with her phone. Wrinkling her nose as if she was trying to text someone back some witty response. Cole recomposed himself, fixing his backpack. Taking in a deep breath to salvage some of the oxygen she managed to squeeze out of his already tiny body.

        "Well..." she began tapping her foot, placing her phone back in her pocket and giving Cole a shrewd stare. "Any plans silly?" She struck him on the back causing him to tumble over a bit from the overbearing weight of his backpack. Ashley hesitated, patiently waiting for a response. Cole immediately began fidgeting with his all-of-a-sudden fascinating shirt, pretending to examine the dark green embroidered patterns and threading his fingers through his long sleeves. "Cole." Ashley warned.

        "Yes?" His faced turned a shade of pink. Obviously Ashley knew he had no plans, so why even bother asking? She's been there for him since elementary school together. She knows that all his spring breaks go the same way. The same numbingly quiet days while he would lose himself in the melodies of his favorite tunes, or just spend time with his cat Erebus.

        Cole was forced out of his daze by a loud snap by his left ear.

        "You heard me, loud and clear." She stomped. "Now fess up."

        Great... Cole thought, Ashley of course already knows but he can't risk telling her cause she'll scold him for being such a loner all the time.

        With a smirk Cole glanced at her, sarcasm dancing in his eyes. "Do I ever...?" then glanced away. "Sorry." Combing his fingers through his hair, "I got lost in my thoughts, and yeah." Ashley stared at him for what seemed like an eternity with shame? No, that was pity in her eyes. Here it comes. Cole prepared himself.

        "Cole Jade Pierce!" she sputtered out, a feasibly angry tone backed with a sorrowful undertone. "You are a junior now, and for the past three years you've done the same thing for spring break." Her tone broke into a guileless sigh "Haven't you even tried to make some new friends? You really can't consider me your only one. Seriously."

        "I..."

        "Nope, no excuses." She growled then clutched Coles unused hand and proceeded to drag him out into the hallway where most of the students had already vacated the building. "I wish I could say that I'd be free to give you ample company all week, but with cheerleading practice, piano lessons, and my job I can't make any promises." She grinned, an apologetic smile. "How about we at least go grab a bite to eat somewhere?"

        "Yeah, Sure Ashley. That'd be kind of nice, I guess, but I really don't have that much..."

        She lightly punched his arm, "I've got you covered kid."

        "Uh... thanks... Ashley. You know, I really hate it when you do..."

        "Do what...?" She interrupted again, clearly entertained with how much she had already managed to annoy Cole in no less than an hour.

        "See!" he flung his hands in the hair, irritation mingled in with his over exaggerated tone. "At least let me finish my sentence." Another pause, then this time Cole decided to drag Ashley around and yanked her through the front doors of the school. As soon as they hit the outside air he regretted not bringing a short sleeve shirt. The warm air gliding around the side of the building, gusting through the trees, and occasionally pushing a leaf or two across the sidewalk.

        Just as Cole was about to make a sarcastic remark to Ashley about how slow she was coming along he deadpanned at the sight ahead of him. Stopping, he let go of Ashley's hand and tried to rationalize the sight. Why does Julian Wood, Mr. School Spirit look so sullen? His eyes followed Julian as he passed the busses and made a beeline to the sidewalk at the other side of the street. His head down, hoodie up, and his hands burrowed deep in his pockets.

        Reverting his mind back to the world around him Cole stopped Ashley mid conversation, a conversation that consisted of just her speaking. "Ashley!" she stared, dumbfounded. "Do you ever shut up?"

        A look of hurt overcame her expression. "Well." She stomped, "if that's how you're going to treat the one buying you lunch..." then slapped him on the back, once again causing Cole to trip over himself.

        "Ha. Ha. Speaking of food." he spit out, making an attempt to regain his balance. "I think it'd be wise if we left, you know, before spring break ends."

        "She smiled, grabbing at the elbow of the green woven shirt and tugging him along like a ragdoll. Chuckling to herself as he began to whine, his feet dragging on the concrete. "You know, the more you struggle the harder it gets." She smirked.

        "I can walk on my own Ashley!"

        "I'm not so sure of that." She added with a sly smirk.

        Cole took one last glance to the location he last saw Julian, he was gone but still he wondered. What could possibly have happened to make one of the most seemingly happy kids in the school, unhappy? In that split second Ashley had opened the door of the passenger seat and shoved Cole into her car. Trotting to the other side of her still rather new Mazda. Starting the engine she began messing with the mirrors. Making sure her rear view was perfect.

        "Let's go." she paused, throwing the car into reverse. "Any more of your over dramatic music you'd like to show me today?" She shrugged, satisfied with the pout Cole gave back.