Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"For sure."

/*\*/*\

"That was certainly a success." Peter commented drily.

"I sense a hint of sarcasm there, and I certainly know a thing or two about sarcasm," Switcheroo replied, "But you're not wrong." She glanced down at the- flask? Capsule? Container? she was holding.

"So where are you going to take that... thing- now?" Peter asked.

"I dunno." She responded. "Still haven't heard anything back yet. I'll let you know as soon as they-" She stopped, reaching up and seemingly touching something on the side of her head. What it was, Peter didn't know, as he didn't see anything. It must be some communicator device thingy. He thought.

His attention was drawn to two figures in the distance heading towards he and Switcheroo. He narrowed his eyes, trying to figure out who it was.

Then he recognised them.

"Hello Spider-Man!" Chat Noir said, sounding and seeming more cheerful to see him than the last few times they had met.

"'Ello." Peter nodded in reply.

"Who's this?" Ladybug, -Marinette asked, looking at Switcheroo who was standing beside him.

Didn't even bother to say hello. And she doesn't even know who I am. What would she be doing if she did know? Disruptive thoughts filled his mind and he shook his head briefly. He'd been thinking a lot about the afternoon's events and it probably wasn't a good idea.

"Oh, I thought this was another one of your superhero friends." Chat Noir mused. "Don't you know this one too?"

Another one? Peter's thoughts echoed as he attempted to think who the blond-haired superhero could be talking about. What was her name, Rena Rouge? Did Lila say Ladybug knew her? I don't remember.

"Nope. I don't know who this is." Marinette responded.

"You definitely don't. That's for sure." Peter said curtly. Marinette's brows furrowed as she tried to figure out why he'd snapped at her. Chat Noir flashed a questioning look.

"This is Switcheroo." Peter gestured towards his friend. "She's from Australia. Also, she does not speak French."

"Australia?" Chat Noir's eyes lit up. "Don't worry, I know a bit of English. You see, I'm learning it. I also know a bit of Ch-" He seemed to stop himself from speaking much more. "Your name is Switcheroo?" He asked.

"Does a one legged duck swim in circles?" She responded sarcastically. There was a stretch of silence lasting a few seconds and she furrowed her brows trying to communicate the meaning of her seemingly random response. "Uh- th- y'know? A duck. If it has only one leg. It'd be swimming in circles. Y'know? You- Yes. The answer you're looking for is yes."

Despite the initial confusion. Chat Noir nodded, a slight grin spreading across his face. The joke may have fallen flat, but the intention behind it did not and he seemed to decide that he liked this new superhero. "Well then- S-" he frowned, probably trying to come up with a nickname. He shrugged briefly, -so brief Peter wondered if Chat Noir had shrugged at all. "Well, what-"

Marinette interrupted him. "What brings you to Paris?" She asked.

Switcheroo opened her mouth to respond but Peter interrupted her. "That's none of your business." He snapped.