Chapter Seven

Michelle stared into space, her eyes glazed over and a frown on her face. She muttered quietly as if talking to someone.

"MJ!" Marinette exclaimed, "Fight it! Don't listen to Hawkmoth!"

Michelle looked up at them. "I'm not MJ." She closed her book and a dark mist surrounded her, coming from the book. "I'm the Observer!"

Marinette pulled Alya backwards as she got out her phone and began to record.

"Let's see how this works." Michelle - the Observer said as she stepped out of the clearing mist. Her dark hair was tied back behind her head and in place of her casual clothes was a dark suit with a gleaming purple eye on her chest.

"Keep your eyes on the eye." Observer said, clutching her book with a grin. The cover of the book was dark, and something that resembled an energy bar of some sorts began to fill up as Observer reached out and grabbed Alya's shoulder. Alya tried to push her away until Observer placed her other hand on her head. Alya jerked and slumped over. Observer used her other hand to keep Alya upright as she presumably searched Alya's mind. Why isn't she trying to escape? Mainette thought as she turned around attempted to open the door, but it was stuck, completely unmoving.

"With these powers, I can reveal any secrets you are hiding. Especially those of Peter and Chloe!" Observed laughed as the bar filled up. It finished with a satisfying ding Observer let go of Alya and opened the book to the first page.

"Alya." She said with mock surprise. "You are definitely hiding something. Does Marinette know you're the superhero, Rena Rogue? Protector of Paris?"

Yes. Marinette thought. I do know that. But Alya didn't know that she knew, so she pretended to be surprised as she turned around and stared at Alya.

"Woah! Alya! If I wasn't so fearful of my life I would be amazed right now." Marinette breathed.

"Now." Observer chuckled. "Before I reveal what secrets Marinette has, I have a job to do. I've just been told that I have to retrieve your Miraculous. It's a necklace, right? So give it to me." She ordered, taking a step towards Alya who had snapped out of her freeze and was backing away.

Marinette finally got the door open and she ran out, pulling Alya behind her.

"Someone's been Akumatized!" She yelled, trying to clear the hall as she looked around. There was silence for a few seconds before people listened to her. Everyone began to quickly exit the hall and Observer burst out of the bathroom behind her.

"Give me your Miraculous Alya. It belongs to the one who calls himself Hawkmoth!" Observer hissed, reaching out to grab Alya's arm.

We have to get out of here! Marinette thought, grabbing Alya's arm first and pulling her back.

"No! It does not belong to you, or Hawkmoth." Marinette said, backing away. Alya put her phone back in her pocket and followed Marinette.

Observer narrowed her eyes but was briefly distracted when she saw Chloe. Instead of following HawkMoth's orders, she headed for the annoying blonde. In one long stride that would have been impossible for a normal human, she went over to Chloe and grabbed her arm. Of course. Marinette thought. She has enhanced abilities now.

"What are you hiding, Chloe?"

"Let go of me you monster! This jacket is expensive and I don't want you to ruin it!" Chloe pouted, seemingly more protective of her jacket than her own mind. Observer placed a hand on her head and Chloe stopped struggling.

The meter filled up and Observer dropped Chloe, opening the book to the next page. She scanned the page and closed the book with a snort, looking down at Chloe with a raised eyebrow. "Nothing new here." She said dismissively. "We all know who you have a crush on. It's no secret. Although apparently you like more than one. " She looked over at Peter and Adrien, who were following everyone out of the hall.

"Now Peter. I know you're hiding something. You're always making excuses for things and missing meetings. Let's see what your secret is."

Peter turned around as Observer leapt towards him. He stumbled backwards and Adrien exited out of the hallway along with Nino, abandoning Peter.

Observer reaches out and grabbed Peter's arm, hauling him upwards. Peter's eyes were wide with terror as he struggled to escape her grasp. Observer placed her hand on his head and he stopped struggling.

"Excuse me there, but I'm afraid I will not allow you to let the cat out of the bag. (Haha. Puns. Getit? Cuz imma cat superhero?) Whatever this guy is hiding should stay hidden." Chat Noir's amused voice said from above. He jumped off the roof and landed on the floor, walking towards Observer nonchalantly. She dropped Peter and advanced towards her new target, Chat Noir. The bar on her book depleted and Peter seemed to breath a sigh of relief, before scrambling to exit out of the door behind him.

Marinette pulled Alya's arm and they exited the hall as well.

/*\*/*\

"We need to hide you somewhere." Marinette said as they ran from the school.

"No. I'm nothing to Hawkmoth unless I have my Miraculous." Alya said and then winced. "About that. Marinette, I'm really sorry for not telling you I was Rena Rouge." She rambled. "Ladybug herself came to me and trusted me with the fox Miraculous, and it's amazing! I was gonna tell you but I wasn't allowed too."

"It's okay." Marinette smiled, placing her hand on Alya's shoulder.

"I don't actually have my Miraculous right now. Ladybug gives it to me on hard missions but I'm not allowed to keep it. Probably for this reason." Alya continued.

"I'll hide you at my place." Marinette told Alya, but she shook her head.

"Michelle knows where you live girl, she'll probably head there next, assuming you'll hide with me there. Let's shelter at my place instead." Alya said, and Marinette nodded in agreement.

/*\*/*\

As soon as they got to Alya's house, Marinette turned to leave.

"Marinette? Where are you going?" Alya questioned.

Marinette jumped and turned around. "I uh- well- uh- I'm going to go uh- go find Peter. Because uh- Peter needs to be rescued..?" Marinette attempted to make an excuse.

Alya shook her head with a smile. "Marinette. Marinette. Marinette." Alya grinned. "Well I'm coming with you then, why didn't you say so?"

"No!" Marinette exclaimed, and Alya raised an eyebrow. "Uhh I mean. You can't come. Observer knows you're Rena Rouge."

"Yes, but Marinette, I told you before, I don't have the Miraculous on me right now."

"Yes, but if you're captured, you could be used as a bargaining chip or something." Marinette argued.

"So could you. So could any other civilian."

"Please. Stay here Alya."

Alya sighed.

"Okay," Marinette paused. "If Ladybug comes and asks for your help, then come. But tell her that Hawkmoth knows who you are. Deal?"

Alya smiled. "Alright. Just go already."

/*\*/*\