Chapter two

It was during Ms. Mendeleiev's science class that an Akuma attacked.

With a loud crash, a large branch was thrown through the window, barely missing Ms. Mendeleiev. She jumped backwards, turning towards the window. Outside in the streets was a dragon- tearing up trees and flipping cars. It must be an Akuma! Marinette thought, slinging her purse over her shoulder and preparing to leave.

A voice was heard over the loud speakers, and everyone started to pack their things, as they knew where to go. "Akuma Alert. Everyone please find a safe place to shelter while Ladybug and Chat Noir take care of the Akuma."

Marinette stood up, and Alya followed pulling out her phone. Her eyes brimmed with excitement. Marinette smiled, Alya would be anywhere that wasn't safe, trying to catch a glimpse of the Akuma or of Ladybug or Chat Noir so that she could film them and upload it to her blog. Despite the small amount of fear everyone in the room felt, there was a buzz of excitement floating around as everyone anticipated what was going to happen next.

The only one who didn't know what was going on was Peter. He followed behind the rest of the students as they filed out of the room with a confused look on his face. "What is going on?" He asked Nino.

"It's an Akuma attack."

"A what?"

"An Akuma. Someone has been Akumatized and-"

"Someone has been turned into a super-villain by the evil Hawkmoth!" Alya interrupted dramatically, and Marinette smiled at Peter's confused look.

"A super-villain?" Peter echoed.

"Yeah. A super-villain. But that's not why Alya pulled out her phone to film. We have our two super-heroes that will save the day- Ladybug and Chat Noir." Nino grinned as they walked down the stairs to the ground floor of the school.

"France has super-heroes?" Peter asked suspiciously.

"Yes, well really it's only Paris that has the super-heroes." Nino replied, "don't you have super-heroes in America? Didn't they call themselves the Avengers or somethin'? Ya know, Iron Man and Captain America?"

"Uh, well, yeah. I guess. How come I've never heard about Ladybug or Chat Noir?"

Nino shrugged, "I dunno. Maybe you could ask them yourselves."

"You think I'm just going to run into one of them?" Peter asked.

"Probably not, but Alya might, you can tag along with her." Nino responded.

"Huh?"

"I'm going after the Akuma. I need to catch it on video so I can post it on my Ladyblog, and if I'm lucky, I can see Ladybug and Chat Noir!" Alya responded, excitement painting her voice. "You can come with me if you want."

"Sure!" Peter grinned, "but I wont be able to stay for too long, I have to figure out where Chloe Bourgeois lives- that's who I'm staying with. Do you know her?"

Nino smiled sympathetically, "Yeah, we know her. Good luck dude." He said, patting a confused Peter on the back.

"Bye guys, I'll see you later. I should get home- my parents will be wondering where I am." Marinette interrupted, waving goodbye as they exited the school.

"I'll have to go too." Adrien said, motioning to the limo parked outside of the school. "Dad wants me home." He rolled his eyes with a smile and waved goodbye to them as well.

/*\*/*\

Marinette double checked that she wasn't followed into the empty building, before opening the small purse by her side. Her magical kwami friend flew up to greet her, with what seemed like a wide-eyed grin on her face.

"Hey Tikki. Ready to transform?" Marinette whispered, clenching her fist with a smile on her face.

"What are you waiting for, Marinette?" The Kwami responded, and Marinette nodded.

"Tiki, spots on!" Marinette exclaimed with another whisper, and a flash of light engulfed the dark room.

/*\*/*\

It really did look like a dragon. -Or whatever you'd think a dragon would look like. A long neck ended in a reptilian-looking head, and large green scales adorned its muscular body and giant webbed wings were folded behind its back. It's eyes blazed with anger, reflecting the fiery inferno flowing from its mouth. The tail of the giant lizard was sharpened to a point and sharpened claws raked down the sides of buildings. Apart from the stereotypical aspects of the dragon, there was one thing unusual about the beast- the body of the lizard was covered in chains of different sizes and materials, one of these chains presumably holding the Akuma.

A small thump of feet announced the arrival of her partner, Chat Noir. Marinette, (currently Ladybug,) turned to see him grinning- not exactly the emotion you would presume he would have at that moment.

"Hello Chat Noir," Ladybug nodded, acknowledging his presence. "you decided to turn up?"

"Oh you know," Chat Noir responded, waving his hand vaguely. "I got caught up with a few things."

Marinette raised her eyebrows and returned her calculating gaze to the giant dragon tearing up Paris with explosions of fire and smoke.

"Did you figure out where the Akuma is?" Chat Noir asked.

"I'm thinking it's in one of the many chains wrapped around it." Marinette responded.

"That's what I thought too, there's too many to destroy each of them. We need to figure out which one to break. But how do we figure out which one?"

"I don't know, Captain Obvious, how do we figure it out?" Marinette responded curtly, glancing at her partner briefly.

"Hey, I was just asking a question, you're the one who is smarter than me! (Or so I've been told.)" Chat Noir snorted, holding his hands up in surrender. "Well," He grinned, "we might as well just break them all until a butterfly pops out."

"Chat, no-" As she was trying to stop him, he leapt of the roof, heading towards the dragon.

She heard a faint yell of "Cataclysm!" Coming from the blond haired superhero and Marinette saw him strike one of the chains. It instantly crumbled into a black ash, but no Akuma came out. He chose the wrong one.

"Chat Noir!" She hissed as he landed back on the roof, a guilty look on his face, "There's at least another 10 chains, why did you do that?"

"I dunno, I thought I'd get lucky?" He grinned, and he looked down at his hand as his ring began to beep- five minutes until he de-transformed.

Marinette rolled her eyes. "You might as well go de-transform now. It'll probably take me awhile to come up with a plan, and I'm assuming that plan will involve your Cataclysm."

Chat Noir nodded quietly and leapt off the building, ducking into an alleyway out of Marinette's sight.

Marinette returned her gaze to the absolutely terrifying dragon causing an uproar in the city in front of her. The giant lizard wasn't actively seeking out Ladybug or Chat Noir and was presumably ignoring the orders of Hawk Moth.

She heard a thump of feet landing on the roof behind her. Chat Noir is back already? She thought, turning around. "Chat Noir! You certainty didn't take your time today-"

It wasn't Chat Noir standing behind her.