Chapter twelve

"Chloe. No. That's not how you pronounce it-"

"Yes it is. My English is fine. Are we done yet?"

"No! You're the one who asked me to help you with your English work. You need to let me-"

"Yes but you know what I meant. I didn't really mean for you to tutor me." She leaned forwards slightly and batted her eyelashes. "I wanted to spend time with you. Get to know you."

"You could have just said so-"

"But would you have accepted?"

"Uh-" Peter's hesitation all but answered her question.

Chloe stood up. "Come on Petey, let's go watch a movie or something." She swiped the books off the table nonchalantly. "Forget about this language stuff. Learning other languages is stupid. English is stupid. Everyone should just learn French."

Peter, slightly offended at Chloe's remarks, frowned. "Look, Chloe, I don't- I just- I wanted to well, walk around the city a bit, -alone, and just, find my around way the city." Did I stuff up my grammar? I'm pretty sure I did. "I also have some work I need to do-"

"You can do that in here with me though." Chloe pouted.

"Yeah but-" Aside from the fact that you're going to try to distract me, "don't you have work too?"

"Yeah, I do."

"Oh?"

"Sabrina does it for me."

Of course she does. Peter muttered quietly.

"So? Are we going to watch a movie? What movie do you want to watch?"

Peter sighed silently, "look, Chloe, I don't want to watch something. I have things to do-"

Chloe frowned, "If I let you help me will you stay?"

"Huh?"

"Stay. You're going to stay if I let you teach me English?" Chloe repeated, picking the books off the floor and dropping them on the table. She narrowed her eyes with a slight smile.

"Uh, yeah I- I guess." Peter replied hesitantly.

"Then help me. What are you waiting for? Hurry up."

Peter opened the book back up to the page they were on and attempted to continue teaching Chloe.

/*\*/*\

It was an hour later. Maybe two. Peter had finally been able to say goodbye to Chloe and get a chance to leave.

He'd walked a few blocks away from the hotel before turning into an alleyway. Peter had made sure no one was looking before he'd unzipped his backpack.

Now he was swinging through the city, watching all the buildings pass by. He headed for the Eiffel Tower, somewhere he'd always wanted to visit. (Unfortunately he'd still not been there.)

"Hey KAREN, are you working yet?" Peter asked softly, talking to the AI in his suit.

"Un-unfortunately not Peter-er. Your suit has been badly damaged after-" the glitchy reply of his AI cut out, before returning a few seconds later. "The Akuma yesterday that you fought has badly damaged some of the circuitry in your suit, Peter. I would advise-" The voice cut out again for a few seconds. "I would advise you disable me for the duration of this trip as I am unable to connect to anything at all."

"Sure, I mean, if you think that's a good idea, I'll do that then- hey!" Peter's right webshooter didn't shoot any webbing out and he started to fall. "KAREN! My web shooter isn't working!" Thankfully, his left hand still worked and he saved himself from crashing onto the ground.