Chapter 17: I am Raja, the God of Courage

June 1106

I start this journal with words I know. You told me to do this before this war took everything away from us. 

"Maybe our child will read it. They will see our story . . ."

I look down to these pages with no joy or the happiness that you want me to feel. I feel hollow. I feel empty. I feel like I've been chopped down like a tree, a lonely stump in a plain. The only joy I feel is that of you and what we have created.

Naveed

He is precious

He is precious. He is the reason I live on without you.

I remember that last day we had together. We made such a beautiful creation. You told me that you loved me. You told me that wherever you went, you would walk with me. Usually, we die so close together when one of us leaves this plane. It's been seven months.

I love you

Raja

*

August 1106

He has your eyes. 

Naveed is a very quiet baby. He rarely cries out when we travel. I try so hard to keep his white head of hair from the rain. Mylo and I are the only ones left.

I don't speak to him about my pain. He understands. He knows I did it with reason, but why do I feel guilty?

With regret,

Raja

*

March 1107

I miss your body.

I crave your touch.

Why did I do it?

You were in pain. She died in front of us. The succession rule took place.

You became the new moon god.

But you couldn't handle it.

You didn't know when you told me to do it that it would fall onto me. Do you remember that I am the other half of your soul? That we split at the beginning of time?

You needed your other half to begin to handle that power. Was I selfish to refuse to return to you? Yes. You told me it wasn't. You rather die than never see me again in our futures.