Chapter 18: Birthday Date

Start from the beginning

He was tapped on the shoulder a few moments later and looked over it to see a grinning Erin.

"Ready for dinner?"

"Yeah." Arron replied with a smile.

Erin grabbed his hand and tugged him into the awesome smelling pizza place.

"I'm sure you're wondering how I knew it was your birthday." He asked.

He actually was confused about that. He hadn't told anyone at school.

"I overheard Rylan talking with some of his friends he usually hangs out with on the weekend. He said that he couldn't come out Saturday because of his foster brother's birthday. I figured that meant you."

"Oh. That makes sense." Arron said.

"Hello! Welcome to West Pizza Company! Table for two?" The hostess standing near the entrance said.

Erin answered with an enthusiastic "Yep!"

The young blond hostess smiled and grabbed two menus. "Please follow me."

When they were seated, Arron ordered a chocolate milk, drawing a chuckle from Erin as he got himself a Dr. Pepper.

The restaurant was really busy, but their waiter, who's name was Paul, seemed to always be checking up on them when they needed him. After they got their drinks, Arron ordered a pepperoni pizza and grinned when Erin got himself a salad pizza.

He told him that he actually had made the restaurant make it special once because their veggie didn't have nearly enough veggies on it, according to him. Since it sold so well, he got five dollars off whenever he ordered it because it was his idea.

"Alright, so! How was your birthday so far?" Erin asked.

"It's been great." Arron replied before taking a sip of his chocolate milk.

He leaned forward. "Well, tell me. I want details."

Leaning forward, too, Arron rested his arms on the table.

"It was awesome. Mr. and Mrs. Leo got me an Xbox one. And mom got me a coupon to get a new skateboard. I even got some money."

Arron suddenly felt like he was gloating because he knew that Erin wasn't too well off, just like himself. He slowly closed his mouth and scooted a little further back in his seat.

"Hey, don't feel bad, dumbo." Erin said as he reached across the table and ruffled his hair.

"I want that excitement back. Those are great gifts!"

It took Arron a moment, but his smile slowly slid back onto his blushing face.

"That's more like it."

They both laughed since they'd been sipping at their sugary drinks while talking and both were nearly empty. It probably wasn't the best idea for him to have more sugar on top of the cake and soda he'd had at lunch time. The waiter came over a few minutes later and as Arron opened his mouth to ask for some water...

Darn it.

His little fuzzy, spotted head shook off his shirt as he managed to get himself free of his clothing.

Too much sugar.

It was rather humiliating to change in a restaurant.

"Oh, don't pout Arron, come here." Erin said.

He carefully got down from his seat and walked over to hop up into Erin's side of the booth. Erin grabbed him and set him on his back, confusing Arron until he started scratching his fuzzy belly.