Chapter 24 ~ Blood for Blood

Start from the beginning

"Find Padraig, get him to Anna," I yelled as I grappled with hands that tried to pin me down, "Now!"

She looked torn, her sword lifted to help me but the growl in my tone must have made it clear I'd be pissed if she helped. I could handle myself. I knew I could. Elaine muttered a curse before turning away from me and I let out a battle cry of my own as I finally got free of the body pushing me down.

When I caught sight of his face, my breath caught in my throat before rage filled my veins. Morfran.

He grinned, bearing sharp and blood stained fangs at me. The sight of him sent a final rush of energy and strength through me.

I jumped to my feet, wielding my sword. Morfran would not be the one to take my life, that I promised myself.

"I've been longing for this fight," he growled, his fingers curling into claws, "It's just a pity I can't kill you, but I'm sure Airell will let me have my fun with you."

I hissed, allowing myself to become the vampire I was until I felt light on my feet and ready to strike. Would Airell never relinquish his claim on me?

"Do you remember what you told me the price of our dealing was?" I asked, smirking at the wariness in his features.

He widened his stance, rolling his weight onto the balls of his feet and everything seemed to be clearer, easier to read like the world was going in slow motion.

"Blood for blood," I grit out before launching myself forward.

With no weapon, Morfran had made himself far too easy a target. There was little room to manoeuver in the halls so I kept myself centred in the hopes of avoiding being caged against a wall. Like a bull Morfran came running towards me, neither of us willing to back down. His grin matched mine and the phrase "a good day to die" popped into my head. But I refused to be the one to die today.

With a primal cry, I drew back my sword and twisted myself to the side before sweeping my arm up. My blade met little resistance as it sliced into his side, warm blood splattering over me. While my opponent faltered, my eyes flicked towards the stairs. As much as I wanted to run to make sure Elaine had found Padraig, another, angrier, part of me wanted to finish Morfran off.

A grunt had my attention falling back on him. He was struggling to stand while trying to hold the gaping wound close and a swift kick to his back had him falling forward again. I crouched, pinning him much like he had me with my sword at his throat.

"You were different from your leader, and I feared you much less than he, because you could never hide the monster within. I knew exactly what you were and what you thought of me," I hissed, wishing I could take my time to torture him as he had me for over a century.

"You were nothing but Airell's breeding whore, and you couldn't even fulfill that duty for him," he growled back, chuckling even as blood spilled past his lips.

I stilled, frowning, sensing something in his words, "What do you mean?"

Airell had already revealed that he thought that like Leyla, I would be able to conceive a child but Morfran wasn't stupid, he said it now for a reason.

He strained to look over his shoulder at me, still grinning manically, "He's gone to find a Queen of his own and when he gets his hands on you again, I will hear your screams even from where I rest in the afterlife."

I grinned back at him, lifting his head to whisper, "You will find no peace where you are going, Morfran."

For a moment there was a glimmer of fear in his eyes but it disappeared quickly as my blade severed his head from his neck. The satisfaction that filled me should have been worrying but I didn't care.