Chapter 5 ~ Harsh Truths

Chapter 5: Harsh Truths

~

A cold sweat made my skin clammy to the touch and even I wasn't sure whether I was too hot or shivering with cold. A light blanket was thrown over my legs, sticking to skin that was soaked. My head was pounding to the drum beat of my heart that had me keeping my eyes closed to try and ease it. It would become easier, I knew that, but the mistake I'd made would haunt me and I couldn't blame Atanas for it. He hadn't made me take the blood, in fact he had done his best to try and make it disappear.

I was weak to have given in, it proved the men of my past still had their claws sunk deep in me.

"Hopefully going through this will teach you not to do it again." Atanas muttered as he sat next to me, wiping sweat from my forehead.

I snorted, curling into myself, "Your bedside manner needs some work."

He laughed, "I'll have you know, I have only ever received praise for my work in bed. Women normally leave completely satisfied." 

Though I was sure he was telling the truth. I doubted any women left disappointed after spending a night with him. He was charismatic and sure of himself, and drew even my frozen heart in. With hundreds of years of experience, I knew he must know how to play a women's body.

I rolled my eyes anyway, "You're disgusting."

"Just as much as you look. You need a shower, you're a mess. I'll help you, then I'll bring back someone for you to feed on. You can't be any help to me curled up in bed and barely clinging to life."

I stared at him, wondering why he was helping me. Especially when he was clear on the fact he had loads of work to do with his plans to overthrow the council. Even his excuses of needing me to help him didn't make much sense, he'd proven he was well able to protect himself and weasel his way into the workings of the council...he'd done so once before.

Slowly, I sat up, much to my aching body's protest. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. Atanas helped me stand, taking my weight as I hobbled my way to the bathroom.

"I can shower myself." I stated, pushing him away slightly when he made no move to leave me in peace.

His eyes raked over me, his tongue flicking out to wet his lips before he murmured, "Pity. But alright."

I gave him another eye roll and he grinned, shrugging.

"I'll go grab you a bite to eat." He winked, stepping out and shutting the door.

I stared at the closed door until I heard him leave the flat, feeling confused. Did he really care or did he just want me feeling better so he could have me doing his bidding again. I had no energy to ponder over it, my thoughts were in disarray as it was, trying to think through the pain.

Taking a quick shower took more energy than I had and once dried, I put on joggers and a hoodie, feeling overly sorry for myself. My damp hair stick to my jawline but it was a cool and welcome relief to the burning of my skin.

Flicking the TV on, the news headline quickly captured my attention.

Three found mauled in city centre, police have no suspects.

My gut told me it had something to do with Atanas or the council and I was quick to flick to another channel when the door opened and Atanas' scent flooded the room. I don't know why I felt the need to hide it from him but hide it I did.

I turned, watching him lead in a small human woman with glazed and unseeing eyes.

"Your dinner, my lady." He winked, sitting the woman next to me.