"I'm so sorry," I choked out.

"Kennedy... despite what you may think, you're ohana," he said, making me look at him again. I chuckled lightly despite my tears.

"Did you steal that from Lilo & Stitch?" I asked amused. He smiled and shook his head at me.

"No, it's an actual Hawaiian word, but the movie did put it best: no one gets left behind or forgotten," he said. I sighed and wiped my cheeks dry as I stepped out of Kai's embrace.

"I never cried, okay?" I said, turning away from him. Kai caught my arm and pulled me back to him.

"It's okay to rely on someone every once in a while. Crying doesn't make you weak," he said, staring at me intensely. I shook my head and pulled my arm out of his hand, taking a step back.

"I've been so pathetic. Crying is just the cherry on top," I argued.

"You think I haven't cried? I cried when you let that guy mark you... and I cried when I had to leave you. Does that make me any less of an Alpha or a man?" he asked. I was too shocked by his red cheeks and shy demeanor to say anything immediately. I settled for shaking my head no, stupidly. It was quiet as an awkward silence passed between us. Kai cleared his throat before he sat back in his desk chair and placed his glasses back on his face.

"Kai..."

"You should go now. Breakfast will be ready soon," he said, dismissing me. I started heading for the door before I stopped, turning back to Kai.

"One more thing... I don't want anyone knowing I'm your mate just yet. Please keep that bit of information to yourself," I said before I went to find Micah. As expected, he was at the shoreline, playing in the sand. Ever since we got here, he's been obsessed with the beach and the water. It made me nervous for Micah to have direct access to it. He was only four years old, I could see him accidently drowning when no one was watching. I plucked him out of the sand and put him on my hip much to his dismay.

"Micah! You can't come out here by yourself, okay? You need to tell Kai or me before you go anywhere. Got it?" I said worried.

"Put me down, Kenny!" he said. I sighed and rolled my eyes before I was putting him down.

"I was actually watching him, miss. The Alpha asked me to," a man said from nearby. He was big... very, very big. He was the same guy who went with Kai to pick us up from the airport. My heart fluttered at the thought that Kai was looking out for Micah, too. Micah climbed the man like a tree until he was sitting on the stranger's shoulder.

"Who are you?" I asked unsurely. The man only smiled warmly and offered his hand.

"The name is Leo, miss," he introduced himself. I shook his hand.

"Stella," I introduced myself. "What exactly did Kai—um, Alpha Kai tell you about me?" I asked curiously.

"The Alpha said that you and this cute little guy here are important guests and to treat you with the same respect we give him," Leo answered. I smiled gently. Kai continued to show his sweet side when I didn't deserve it.

"I'm really a babysitter for Micah, miss Stella. I'm not to bother you. The Alpha made it very clear that you wish to... be left alone," he explained. I shrugged. I thought Kai would insist on a security detail on me, or worse, I'm glad he didn't.

"Food is ready," Leo said suddenly. We walked inside and to the kitchen. Kai was already there.

"Feeling better?" Kai asked as his arms wrapped around my waist on their own accord. I wiggled out of his grasp and took a step away from him in which he growled to. He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose to try and calm down.

"You mean besides half of my pack being slaughtered, my family being split up, my best friend being dead, and a vindictive Alpha out for my head? Yeah, I'm much better. Look I apologize for how I treated you before, but that doesn't mean I accept any of this," I said sarcastically. I couldn't help it. I was naturally defensive and the thought of Kai still caring about me after everything I did, made me feel even more defensive. He grabbed my arm before I could get away and trapped me between him and the counter. I looked away from him as he towered over me.

"Kennedy, I'm just worried about you. You don't have to be so guarded all the time," he growled lowly, seeing right through me.

"It's Stella," I snapped at him. Kai sighed and moved away from me. He got to the dining room table before I did. Taking a breath, I finally sat down. Micah was quick to crawl into my lap and rest his head on my chest. We ate quietly and quickly without Leo. It was just Kai, Micah, and I. Micah fell asleep at the table in my lap before we were even done. He looked so innocent and cute when he was sleeping. His dark hair fell around his face a little long. It was way past time to get him a haircut.

"Kennedy," Kai started. I didn't want to talk anymore.

"Stella," I corrected him. "I'm going to put him in his bed for his nap," I said. I stood with Micah in my arms and took him up the stairs. After tucking Micah in, I sighed and just stood there. I couldn't stop thinking about the attack, no matter how hard I tried. Maybe I needed a nap, too. I yawned and went to my room. As soon as I hit the bed, I was out.