"I'm going to bed," I grumbled. I went straight to my room. I sighed as I was finally able to breath. I touched my neck gently as I looked at it in my vanity mirror. The stupid thing had already healed and created the mate tattoo. It looked like a tribal patterned tree. There was always two parts of a mark. The first portion was only a fragment of the full picture. The mark completed itself when fully mated. If a true mate did it, the mark was silver like mine was now. If a chosen mate did it, the mark was black, like a tattoo. Currently, silver inked my skin. Kai actually marked me. There was a soft knock on my door. I opened it and sighed in relief when I saw it was Jessie. I pulled him into the room and shut the door behind him quickly.

"Jess, you love me right?" I asked, cutting straight to the point. Jessie nodded curiously.

"Of course I love you, Kenny. Why would you even-" Jessie froze before his nose was in the air. I caught my bottom lip between my teeth as I watched him carefully. He looked at me shocked before he looked at my neck.

"You're marked... by your mate. You found your mate. When did this happen? Wait but if you found your mate he's probably here and an Alpha. You let him mark you?" Jessie asked confused. I shook my head as my eyes watered.

"He caught up to me and just... get rid of it, please?" I begged him as I grabbed his shirt gently. Jessie took my hands in his and just held them.

"Is it Kai?" Jessie asked quietly. I nodded as one stubborn tear escaped. He sighed and pulled me into a hug. "I'm sorry, Kenny." He said sincerely.

"Jess, get rid of it... please," I begged again. There was really only one way to get rid of a mark, and that was to cover it up with another, and even then, the true mate could still reclaim his mate from the chosen. Jessie pulled away from me just enough to look me in the eye.

"Are you sure about this? You would be my mate. Are you okay with that?" he asked. I smiled lightly.

"We promised each other. I love you, Jessie. You're my best friend, and I wouldn't have lasted this long without you. Either way, I need you. I'm 110% okay with being your mate," I assured him. Jessie sighed and glanced at my mark before he kissed the spot. It heated slightly at the touch.

"Only because I'm already madly in love with you, Kenny. But if he wants, he can claim you back at any time," he said softly before his teeth sunk into my neck. I gasped in pain, but I also welcomed it. Jessie's arms caught my waist and held me up as his teeth sunk deeper. I groaned as a howl was heard in the distance. I knew it was Kai, but I didn't care. Jessie pulled away breathless. I opened my eyes to see him standing close to me. His cheeks were rosy. I reached up and brushed a bit of blood from the corner of his lip. He smiled gently before he held his wrist out to me.

"Here, this should help," he offered. I knew what he meant.

The blood bond. It was another way of connecting with a person. I sank my teeth into his wrist and drank until I felt the remains of Kai's mark fade away. I sighed as I wiped my mouth clean.

"He can still claim you back," Jessie reminded me.

"I won't let him," I said with determination. Jessie held my cheek gently and lowered his head to mine. Our lips met in the middle gently. We kissed tenderly before it slowly grew more feverish. Jessie pulled me closer to him.

This is what I wanted.

"What about your mate?" I asked as I pulled away quickly. "I'm so sorry, Jess. I didn't even think that you might actually love your mate and want to be with her and-"

Jessie cut off my rambling with a quick kiss.

"It's okay, Kenny. I don't think I was going to find my mate anyway. Plus, I've loved you since we were ten. You're my best friend and you already know everything about me," he said. I smiled gently and kissed him again.

"I love you, Jess, and I mean it," I said grateful that I had a best friend who would go along with my crazy ideas.

"I love you too, Kenny," he said. "Come on, you're probably tired," he said. I took a quick shower and got ready for bed. Jessie was already showered and in his pajama pants waiting on me. I hopped in the bed quickly and snuggled into Jessie's arms.

"Get some sleep," he said quietly. I closed my eyes, fully exhausted and ready to sleep, but my stomach and brain were unsettled. Jessie breathed easily beside me as he slept. Eventually, I couldn't take it anymore. I got up and headed outside to the forest. I eventually ran into Kai in a clearing. I leaned against a tree and just watched him for a little bit. I couldn't deny that I felt extremely guilty for what I was doing, but I'd worked too hard to let someone just take the Alpha title away from me. I stepped out into the clearing where Kai could see me.

"I tried to warn you. If you push, all I'll do is push back. That's just how I am," I said after a moment.

"I get it, okay? You win," he snapped defeatedly.

"I tried to warn you to leave," I reminded. He shrugged.

"I still would have felt it," he practically whispered. I sighed and dropped my arms.

"Look, pull a stunt like that again and I'll kill you. You have no part in my life. It's nothing personal," I tried to explain. Kai scoffed and stood to face me. He stalked towards me with a glare.

"Nothing personal? You're fucking heartless, you know that? Mates are nothing but personal," he growled. I crossed my arms again and refused to back down.

"Just goes to show that you don't know me at all. I'm not heartless. I care about my family and I care about my pack. That's all I care about," I said stubbornly. He hesitantly touched my hand before letting go. Although dull, I could still feel the sparks.

"Don't be so sure of yourself. You're still ignorant to what's going on around you," he glared at me in warning. He closed his eyes with a sigh before backing down. "You won't have to worry about me getting in your way. I won't interfere unless you come to me. I'm leaving first thing tomorrow," he said before he walked away. I couldn't help but think about his words. I knew deep down he was right.

I was fucking heartless.