"When is the time set for?" Jessie asked as he followed me. An Alpha's 18th birthday, a timer was set and everyone would do a New Year's style countdown to the exact moment of birth.

"11:13 tonight," I said as I pulled my birthday dress out and set it on my bed. Jessie hugged me around the waist and rested his head on my shoulder. I couldn't help but to chuckle.

"Are you okay, Jess?" I asked. He sighed as a heavy feeling settled in the air.

"It's just... everything is going to change tonight," Jessie said nervously.

"Come on, Jess. You and me verses the world," I said reassuringly. He chuckled and held his fist towards me.

"Shake and bake?" He asked with a stupid accent. It was a stupid quote from a movie but it lightened the mood. I touched my fist to his.

"Shake and bake," I repeated. I rolled my eyes and laughed. "Now go get ready before my mom comes up here to do it for you," I said, faking a shudder. Jessie kissed my cheek before he left my room, closing the door behind him. I sighed and turned back to my dress. It was long and a deep purple color. It was very formal with a straight neckline and accents of tulle. I started on my hair first, turning away from my dress. I brushed it out and got to work putting my long copper hair in tamer, loose ringlets. I left most of my hair hair down and pinned my bangs back. I got lazy by the time I got to makeup. I only bothered with applying eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick.

"Kennedy, why aren't you dressed yet?" My mom asked, coming into my room.

"Will you help me with the back?" I asked. She smiled before helping me into the dress and lacing up the corset back. She turned me around and smiled lovingly at me.

"You look beautiful, honey," she smiled. "Come on, let's go. Everyone is waiting," she added. We walked out to the field where the party was set up and music was playing. People stopped me occasionally, wishing me a happy birthday.

Before I knew it, it was only a minute until my birth time. I took my place on a small makeshift stage as my father announced it. We waited until the countdown began, and I was starting to get nervous.

10...

9...

8...

7...

6...

5...

4...

3...

2...

1...

Everyone simultaneously shouted happy birthday as it felt like a wind blew through my body. It literally took my breath away. My nose tickled with the smell of odd fruits, hibiscuses, and salt water for some off reason. It was strange. Those weren't native smells.. When I caught my breath, I placed my hands over my stomach and tried to remember where I was. Jessie was standing directly in front of me and everything still felt sort of normal between us. I felt my heart squeeze uncomfortably as my hope dissolved.

Jessie wasn't my mate.

"Kenny," Jessie said softly. I could tell he was upset too. Tears pricked my eyes as I hugged him. I didn't know what else to do. He pulled me in tight to him.

"This doesn't change anything. I still love you, Kenny. And I'm still your best friend and Beta," he whispered. I only squeezed him tighter as I sniffled.

"I'm so sorry, Jess," I replied. He kissed my cheek quickly before burying his head in the crook of my neck.

"I knew you two were mates," a chipper voice said from behind me. I turned to see my mother. I brushed my stray tears away quickly and shook my head. My mom's smile fell as she released a breath. "Oh... I'm so sorry honey," she said sincerely.

"Kenny!" Micah yelled. He tried to wish me a happy birthday but his English wasn't great yet. Micah was the polar opposite of me. While my skin was pale and covered in freckles, Micah's skin held a natural tan. My hair was a fiery red and Micah's was curly and dark brown. My eyes were icy blue like my father's and Micah's took on a hazel green all his own. He reminded me a lot of my Uncle Taylor. Besides Jessie, Micah was the other love of my life. I slapped on a fake smile and placed him on my hip as I kissed his cheek.

"Thank you, Mickey," I replied. Micah handed me a bracelet made of thread and colorful beads. The beads spelled my name.

"My teacher helped me make it during class," he explained with a giant smile. I smiled for his benefit before standing up straight to face my mom.

"I think I want to be alone for a bit," I said to her before I snuck out of the party and back to my house alone.