Dismissed

How did he know? How could he know? I had been so careful, ensured I covered every trace, and yet he knew... That blasted eunuch and his 'Little Birds.' Yet now there was no way out, gold cloaks covered every exit. Those blasted Starks will win again, what would Catelyn think of me now? Everything I had built, gone. Lysa, that stupid bitch, it must have been her, I told her to burn the letters. That cunt, so pathetically in love, as if I would ever reciprocate it! But, I'm not the only one who know secrets, yes what a way to go? To destroy the 'great respect' held between the ever so perfect King Joffrey and the honourable Ned Stark. Oh yes, what a way to go...

Time Skip and POV change

As soon as I had entered my chambers there was a knock at the door and Ser Boros entered. "Lord Stark is asking for you Your Grace, should I send him away?"

"No," I sighed in resignation, it would be useless to avoid him, he was my Hand for Christ sake! "Let him in."

He bowed his head and walked out. A moment later Lord Stark entered. Saying he looked angry would be an understatement, he looked downright furious, though it seemed that he was trying to mask it.

"Is it true?" He asked.

"I'm afraid I cannot deny the accusation but I can admit that I was in the wrong, and it was in a moment of weakness and it won't happen again." I responded.

"A moment of weakness!" He yelled, you dare dishonour my daughter, your future queen and you call it a moment of weakness!"

"I cannot call it anything else, it was a mistake, I immediately felt guilty." I said. This was getting out of control.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why were you even there?" He clarified.

I once again found myself sighing, I had a feeling I would be doing that a lot in the near future. "I was talking to someone who could give me information on Baelish's treasonous activities. I admit that I had been... close with her before, I had of course ended this as soon as I became betrothed. She then came onto me and I was to weak to stop her."

He stared at me coldly, it seemed as if he was weighing something up in his head. I was starting to get nervous.

"I can't continue to serve a king who had dishonoured my daughter in such a way, I hereby resign as the Hand of the King."

I was flabbergasted! I mean, I know that what I did was wrong, but this seemed quite hypocritical of him, he served 'father' and he did the exact same thing to Lyanna Stark, Ned's sister!

"You held no such reservations about these things when Robert was having affairs while betrothed to your Sister" I pointed out.

"I wasn't happy about it, but what was I to do? If I tried too hard to stop him I would put our friendship at risk, and I had no official power to stop him!"

"And what about your bastard? The one that you produced while married to your lady wife? Was that not a mistake, a mark on your honour?" I wasn't going to tell him that I know it's not his son, especially when it helps me in arguments.

He just stood there in silence.

"However, I do not want our working relationship to be full of tension, therefore I accept your resignation."

"That's not all." He started. "The betrothal is over."

"What!" I yelled. Mostly in shock. Well if cannon wasn't already fucked up... "But my Lord, I have come to care for your daughter greatly; even though my actions don't mirror that."

"This experiment of the people of the North being down in the south has failed. Sansa belongs in the North not here."

I knew I could change his mind, so I once again sighed. "I reluctantly agree, I accept your proposal my Lord." I found myself feeling quite sad because of this.

"I will leave tomorrow at dawn." He informed me.

"You are dismissed." I said in reply.

There goes my great relationship with the North.

Time Skip

I entered the Small Council chambers a few hours later. After Lord Stark had left I had called a Small Council meeting, the position of Hand of the King shouldn't be empty for too long and I had the perfect replacement. And it was also time to get rid of the last bit of dead wood.

As I sat down I got straight to business.

"My Lords, in case you didn't already know Lord Stark has resigned from his commission." After the mutterings had died down I started again. "It is my belief that the office of Hand cannot remain empty. Which is why I have called this meeting." Mutterings once again. Then Pycelle spoke up.

"Your Grace, how have you secured someone to take the position so quickly?" He asked.

"Because, Grand Maester, I have not appointed someone outside of this esteemed body, the person who will take the position is currently sitting in this room." Once again there was muttering, I love surprising people.

"Lord Stannis." He looked at me surprise written across his face. "Do you accept the position of Hand of the King?"

He stood up and bowed before replying. "Yes, Your Grace."

"Then sit in the seat reserved for you." He looked emotional as he sat down.

"Now of course my Lords I didn't call this meeting just to make this appointment, there is one more thing that needs to be done. I have come to the decision that Lord Renly, you are no longer required as Master of Laws and therefore you are dismissed from the Council." Was

"Your Grace," he sounded outraged. "I have served you faithfully."

"Lord Renly, I have come to deem you as ineffective in your role, it is a badly kept secret that most of the City Watch are in the pocket of the various Lords and Ladies in King's Landing and yet you have done nothing to stop this, corruption in the areas of governance that you deal with are rife and that is not in the Crown's best interest. Now I will say it again, you are dismissed!"

"I will not stand for this!" He shouted before storming out of the room.

"Now my Lords, there are three positions on this council that are vacant and I have a few people I am considering to fill them. Rest assured, this council will soon be full again. You are dismissed."