A Small Council Reunited

"Your Grace," Ser Mandon Moore said after I bade him enter. "The High Septon is here."

"Let him in." I said, a weariness in my voice.

My announcement regarding the alterations to the system of Knighthoods in Westeros sent shockwaves throughout King's Landing. Some people supported it, some people did not. One group however more than disliked it; they despised it. This group was of course, the Faith of the Seven.

The Faith were a group who held ideas above their station. They wished to exert more power than they did, believing that just because they were representatives and teachers of the Seven that they should be able to control certain things, and have sway over those who were in charge. It annoyed me to no end. Not only did it undermine my authority, but it caused things to remain as they were, simply because 'the Seven willed it'. Needless to say, I wasn't a big fan of the Faith as an institution. Occasionally they could be useful, but nine times out of ten they just got in the way. The problem was that they couldn't be ignored entirely because they did influence much of the Westerosi people. How much influence was debatable, but they certainly could cause trouble for him if they wanted, so I was wary about annoying them too much, if it could be helped.

I came out of my internal reverie as the High Septon entered the room, I stood for him as he approached and kissed his hand, as was customary, before he bowed his head and we both sat. The formal exchanges over, we began to speak.

"I was told you wished to speak to me Your Holiness."

"Indeed, Your Grace. I'm afraid I must protest to the changes you have proposed to the system of knighthoods. Knighthoods are an especially sacred institution, and these changes completely eradicate the will of the Gods where knights are concerned." He said passionately, his jowls jiggling as he spoke, and a sheen of sweat gathered on his forehead.

"Your Holiness, I simply disagree. The religious aspect of the process remains, a knight must still swear a vow to the gods, so in reality there is no change."

"No change!" He shouted. "Your Grace people can now swear oaths to any god they damn well please! How is that preserving the will and primacy of the Seven!"

"Your Holiness, despite what you may believe, there are many religions in Westeros, all of which are perfectly legitimate."

The High Septon looked as if he were about to faint from shock at my words. His crown wobbled precariously on his damp, bald head.

"Your Grace! You were made king in the light of the Seven!" He protested. "You follow the Faith do you not?"

"I do." I lied through my teeth. "But the fact remains, Your Holiness, that many of those in Westeros follow the Old Gods, or the Lord of the Light, amongst others. They should not be excluded from being knighted simply because they do not pray to the Seven."

"I fear Your Grace that you aim to weaken the Faith."

"Your Holiness, I swear in the name of the Seven that this is not true. I believe that the Seven are the true gods, and the Seven-Pointed Star speaks the truth, but by the same token, I do not believe Lord Stark is inferior because he believes in the Old Gods."

"The Seven-Pointed Star says that Kings should bow to the Seven."

"The Seven-Pointed Star also says that a man who is pious would not be harmed by wights, but we also know that that is not true, Your Holiness. Either way, I do bow to the Seven, but I also accept that others bow to other gods, that is their right, and no other man has the right to stop them."

I stood, and the High Septon did too.

"I know you do not agree with my reasoning, Your Holiness, but I am the King of many men, and I cannot push my faith onto them, it is your job to convince people that the Seven are true, not mine."