Long Live the King

I had an epiphany as I walked down the corridor of the Red Keep towards my chambers. To be honest, I was ashamed I hadn't of thought of it earlier.

While I say I had done 'planning,' in truth it was anything but. I had started off with good intentions, but the longer I spent here, reincarnated in the world of Westeros, I had become complacent. Believing that since I knew what was going to happen, I had no need to plan. But if there's something I've learnt recently, living in this world, experiencing scenes that I once watched on HBO, it's that I can't slack off anymore. Procrastination is a thing no more.

Anyway, back to the epiphany. What if Daenerys doesn't need to die? What if, somehow I could convince her that I was what was right for Westeros? Not only would it prevent a future war, but the dragons she will soon possess will definitely be useful in stopping the dreaded White Walkers. It was definitely a long shot. After all, she had been raised by Mr 'Kill the Fucking Usurper' Viserys Targaryen. She had been raised on the belief that anything Baratheon was scum. As well as: Lannister, Stark, Arryn and every other House that has raised their banners against the Mad King and the Targaryen dynasty. Would I even be able to convince her? Probably not. But I could at least try. One things for sure, it would be a lot harder to do if an attempt had been made in her life by the Crown.

With this thought in mind, I walked briskly past my original destination and then turned left at the end of the corridor. Heading towards the Grand-Maester's rooms. I thought about what I could do to stop the Maester from sending the order. I had an idea as I saw a servant heading in the opposite direction as I. As she passed I stopped and turned towards Ser Meryn Trant. The Kingsguard currently protecting me.

Ser Meryn was a mixed bag for me. He was fervently loyal to anyone who was a Baratheon. And that was useful, he would carry out any command, noble or not. On the other hand, he was a paedophile. This was not so great. If I could stop these behaviours he would be a perfect thug. After all, he wasn't really a great knight on the battlefield.

I waited until she was out of earshot before I started talking.

"Ser Meryn, knock her out, make sure she bleeds but don't do any permanent damage, and make sure she doesn't know that it was you who knocked her out."

I could tell he was somewhat confused but like I said he was a loyal knight, he bowed and then turned and walked silently in the direction the servant walked.

A few moments later he returned, blood on his gauntleted hand. I passed him a cloth for him to wipe the blood and then said:

"Now for the acting."

I set off in a sprint towards the Grand Maester's chambers, I heared the clunking of Ser Meryn's armour as he followed me.

I bashed on the door of Pycelle's rooms with my fist, before he opened the door.

"Grand Maester, someone's been injured" I said frantically pointing behind me. "Please, come with me."

We ran -Well, Pycelle hobbled- back towards the injured servant girl. I winced as I saw the blood pool next to her head, I hoped Meryn hadn't killed the woman.

"Oh dear." Pycelle muttered as he peered down at the girl. "My Prince, Ser Meryn, if you could please help me carry her to my chambers, everything I need is there."

When we got to the chambers and Pycelle had set about treating the wound I asked. "Is there anything I could do?"

"I can't think of anything, my Prince, there doesn't seem to be anything to serious, the bleeding has stopped. She'll have nothing more than a headache, when she wakes up. I will need to monitor when she wakes up though, just in case..." He stuttered out, in the typical Pycelle fashion. "I must say, it was good of you to bring help, I can think of many people who wouldn't of." Here he paused. "Actually my Prince, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you please take this to the ravens? It is an urgent message from His Grace, I was about to send it when you arrived."

"Of course," I said with a small smile. Inside I was cheering. Finally! This man could be so very annoying.

"Ser Meryn, stay here and help the Grand Maester in any way necessary." I said. "I will find someone else to guard me." I added as he went to argue. He obviously found the Maester as irritating as I did sometimes.

I turned to the Grand Maester and thanked him before leaving. Heading to where the ravens were kept. I made sure to go in a somewhat round about way, this way people saw me going there. You could never be to careful when playing the Game of Thrones.

When I arrived at tower holding the ravens, I checked no one was around before opening the letter. The ravens squawked clamorously all around me, no wonder the Grand Maester is so insane, listening to these things all day, I thought as I broke the seal on the parchment. It was indeed the letter ordering whomever the assassin was to kill Daenerys.

The letter was never delivered.

Time Skip

I was in my chambers reading a book on the Andal Invasion when Ser Barristan Selmy ran into the room, completely uninvited.

"I apologise my Lord but it's the King, he's dying!" He shouted.

Well shit.

I burst into my 'father's' chambers in a similar way to Ser Barristan did to me not two minutes ago. Inside, I found mother staring at father with what if I didn't know better, sorrow in her eyes, boy isn't she a good actor?

"Father!" I wailed. While I didn't necessarily respect nor love the man; he was a horrible husband, a negligent father and a shit king. I regretted the necessity of his death, plus I couldn't exactly walk in cheering about how I can finally have some actual power to do good. Well, I could but it wouldn't go down very well.

I held his hand as he rambled in about how he could have been a better father. As if it made much difference now. I'm not afraid to admit a tear rolled down my cheek as he poured his heart out.

Eventually he cleared everyone apart from me and the newly reappointed Hand Lord Stark out.

"I want you to know, Joffrey that I know I was a shit king." He said mournfully.

"You said that not me." I jested with a smile. He laughed at that but that only led to a huge groan of pain.

"I want you to stop the assassination."

"There never would have been an assassination" I said. "I stopped the letter from being sent."

"You cheeky shit." He said and smiled warmly. Ned looked surprised but then also smiled.

"Ned. I'm sorry, I should have listened to you more."

"Robert." He murmured, but said no more.

"Joffrey, know this. Even if I've never said it before, I love you and I know you'll be a good king. A great king even. Now get the fucking Maester and let me die in peace."

Both me and Ned laughed as we left the room and the Maester walked in.

"What do we do know?" Eddard asked as we stood outside with everyone who had previously been kicked out by Robert.

"We tell the High Septon to ring the bells." Mother said. "Let the people mourn their king." And then she added "Then we crown the new king."