Monalise and Rafael

Start from the beginning

I woke up early the next morning not surprised to find that I was alone. It was more so like this than not. Rafael loved his work more than he loved me. I set out to do my morning routine before getting dressed for the day.

Downstairs, Santiago, a trusted driver, was sitting on the couch with a news paper in hand. When he heard me coming down the stairs, he folded the newspaper back up and stood from the couch, "Boss wants you at the warehouse."

I sighed and walked into the kitchen, "That can wait Santiago. I haven't even eaten anything yet and I promised I meet with a couple people today."

"Sorry Mrs. Boerio, Boss's orders. I'll allow you enough time to eat but after that, we gotta go. He didn't sound too happy."

Allow me? Was I a prisoner now? I pretended to ignore him and went about making myself a bowl of mixed fruit and yogurt. I ate it slow and even turned on the TV, just to piss Rafe off.

"Aw man," The vibrations of Santiago's phone could be heard as it rang on the living room table, "that's him."

He slid his finger across the phone before answering, "Yeah she's eating.... I know I told her that but you know boss...alright...okay I'll have her there in ten minutes."

He set the phone in his pocket and stood up, "We got to go now. Boss is pissed says he's about to commit a couple murders."

I rolled my eyes and set my bowl down in the sink. He was too dramatic sometimes and way too much of a prince. He never understood that not everyone was on his time and the universe did not revolve around him.

The warehouse was colder than outside and we were in the middle of November. There were about fifteen men walking about the building, everyone barking orders and yelling. A few of them stopped to greet and wave at me while others ignored me and continued to run around.

"He's in his office," Santiago said from behind me.

I knew the place like the back of my hand.

I swing open the door of his office to see him with a cigar in his mouth and the phone clutched against his ears. He was speaking in Spanish, too fast for me to keep up. I wondered how he knew so many languages.

He said his goodbyes to the person on the phone and hang up when I walked in. His eyes stayed glued to me while I closed the door and stood on the opposite side of the desk. Contrary to Santiago's claims, he looked completely calm, almost like he was having a good day, but I knew better. Everything that glittered wasn't gold and I knew this was a front he was putting up.

He came around the desk to stand in front of me, the strong stench of cigars clogging my nostrils. The smell had become intoxicating to me now, I loved it.

"Good morning baby," he dipped his head to give me a long kiss, "how did you sleep?"

"Fine. " I replied curtly. "I hope you slept just as well, wherever you slept."

I pushed out of his embrace and went to go sit in a chair.

"Cara," his voice was pleading, "I slept here last night. I don't intend on dishonoring our vows, not that I have the urge to."

I nodded my head and broke our eye contact before clearing my throat, "Somebody called last night. His name is Alejandro Colombo. He said he wanted to invite me to a dinner where they plan on honoring my father."

A string of expletives fell from his mouth before his fist connected with the wall. I hopped out of my seat, the sound startling me, "He called my fuckin' house and talked to you about business. Codardo. He's dust, he's done."