Chapter 2

Chapter 2

TOBIAS POV:

The cave walls glisten as the light from the fire bounces off the stone, my fourth beer resting in my lap. I'm staring at the fire as everyone around me begins to act more and more intoxicated with every swig of their own drinks. My head is buzzing from the light brown liquid, however the action of drowning in another bottle seems almost sobering when I think of how the rest of tonight will go.

I will get home, change, and pass out on my lonely bed, only to be terrorized again by my dreams of her. Suffering. Bleeding. Dying. All burned into my memory over and over again, every night.

Christina catches my attention as she finishes asking me a question I completely missed due to my absent mindedness. I raise my eyebrows, furrowing them together to let her know I have no idea what she just said. Her brown eyes roll with annoyance flashing across her features.

"Would you like me to walk home with you? I was wondering if you wanted me to stay over tonight?"

To anyone else this might sound sexual and a little bit desperate, however I know that she is looking out for me as Christina understands more than probably anyone how much I dread this day. She knows about my nightmares, and ever since she stopped me from drinking that memory serum three years ago, we have got each others backs when it comes to grieving, besides, I know she needs company as much as I do tonight. 

"I guess, you can stay in my guest room, but I have work tomorrow," I state, finishing off the last of my beer before placing it on the ground next to the three other bottles.

"Well if you have work tomorrow you should stop drinking and we should head out, it's already eleven."

I sigh, turning my head away from her and gazing straight into the fire for another minute before pushing myself up out of my seat, "Alright let's go."

Zeke, Shauna, Amar, George, and Peter all left a while ago, claiming it was getting too late on a weeknight, and that they have things they need to do tomorrow, and if I am being totally honest, so do I. I should have left with them as I have to get up at six am tomorrow morning, however the idea of going home to a dark empty apartment only to be plagued by torturous images didn't sound anymore appealing than staring into flickering flames for hours.

Christina and I say our goodbyes to Caleb and Cara who anounce they want to stay a little while longer. We exit the cave, me in the lead with Christina trailing not too far behind me, completely engulfed in silence, the only sound being our feet hitting the ground in a rhythmic pattern. However, once we reach about halfway to my apartment, Christina breaks the beautiful sound of nothing.

"It's really cold out, huh." She states, making it almost question like, infuring me to reply in agreement with her small talk.

I just nod my head, shoving my hands in my jacket pockets, trying to keep them away from the biting temperature. Christina begins to walk a little faster so that she can cut me off from continuing down the abandoned street. She places her hands on her hips, glaring me down with a half annoyed, half concerned expression.

"Come on, Four, this is ridiculous."

"What?" I question, my answer irrelevant as I already know what she's about to say.

She huffs out a breath of air, clearly displaying her exasperation, "You can at least talk to me. You know you're not the only one hurting today."

I sigh, knowing full well that I haven't treated her fairly, yet her statement makes me angry, because to be honest I don't think she truly understands my pain. It's not just today that makes my heart ache, it's every night that I dream of her. It's every time I think of her. It's everyday I wake up to an empty bed, and am reminded again and again that I lost her. It's hard. It's beyond hard, it's excruciating. And I just don't think Christina understands that part of it.